Get Back Into The Swing Of Things Post-Spring Break

You still have your tan from break, as you dread logging back onto Canvas

50
Brandi Redd

Another spring break has come and gone. I’m sure you’re glowing from your trip to Cabo and the idea of logging back onto Canvas to see all of your upcoming assignments makes you want to get back on the plane and jet off to the sunshine. Your last half of the semester doesn’t have to suck though and there’s a strategy to combat post-spring break semester laziness.

The idea is called “pre-commitment” or “implementation intentions,” as mentioned on one of “The Art of Charm's podcasts. This idea suggests that if you lay out a plan for the way you will act or behave at certain times and in certain places, ahead of time, you are more likely to follow through. Studies have been done to prove that this strategy works in regards to exercising, where 90% of the participants achieved their objective.

This takes using a planner one step further. Sure, you can write down the things you have to do on certain days, but where will you do them and at what time? Planning like this can be the difference between success and failure.

First things first, buy a planner. There are cognitive benefits to actually writing things down with a pen on paper. You’re more likely to recall information and perform better academically because your brain is engaged in the process of writing. Smartphone calendars are convenient, but nothing beats an old school notebook planner. Write down all of the things you have to do including the time and place and you will accomplish tasks efficiently and effectively.

If you know that you have a two-hour break between class and work, don’t just assume that you’ll have motivation during that window of time to write your term paper. Write down that from 4 to 6 p.m. you will write three pages of your paper at the library. If you wait for motivation, it may come too late or not at all. And trust me, I get it, 24 hours is not nearly enough to get what you need accomplished, but if you plan out how you’re going to use each one of those hours, you may be able to be more productive than you think.

This lesson in time management extends to leisure as well. If you’ve been dying to start a book series or take a cooking class, don’t just say “oh, one day, when I have time, I’ll get around to it.” Write down the location and time that you will start that first book, because you have time to read, you just aren’t intentionally committing to it

Don’t slack off this far into the semester. Finish strong. Commit yourself to finishing your work while making time for other activities by using this strategy. Even if you’re already doing well in all of your classes, there’s always room for growth. You can always do more or be better and this is just one life hack that makes you stand out as a professional.