Gender Roles: As Told By Beauty And The Beast

Gender stereotypes and how men and women today relate to the characters of the Beauty and the Beast

12511
Gender Spectrum

Why is it that when people think of the word "Female" they imagine a frail, small woman with her hair done perfectly, nails done, and afraid of anything that crawls?

Why is it that when people think of the word "male" they imagine a strong,muscular, athletic, successful, rich man?

In the movie, 'Beauty and the Beast' Gaston, is the stereotypical man; he is muscular, strong, and all the girls swoon over him. He views Belle more as an object than a woman and wants to wife her. He assumes that Belle will tend to his every need and desire.

Gaston can be compared to the stereotypical guy in today's society because guys are viewed as the one in a relationship who is in charge. Men are 'supposed to run the relationship and control their woman' as if she is his property.

Belle can be viewed as the stereotypical girl in the movie. She is simple, well-behaved, self-less, and stuck in a never ending day dream. She is plain and simple but dreams for more. She wants to leave her town and do more for herself but she is trapped where she is. She is expected to be her father's care taker because she is the woman.

Belle can be compared to the stereotypical woman in today's society because women today are forced to give up their own hopes and dreams to be the main care takers of the home and children.

Beast can also be viewed as the stereotypical guy in the movie, because he acts big and tough. Beast gives people the cold shoulder and acts like the typical bad guy. People are intimidated by Beast because of his size and rough qualities. But in reality, Belle comes to know him as a true sweetheart which defies the gender stereotype.

Beast can be compared to the stereotypical man in today's society because men today are often viewed as being cold hearted and intimidating to the general public.

Although the beast does identify with the stereotypical man, he also defies his gender role by transforming into a different man completely. By the end of the movie the Beast turns into the guy that every girl dreams of. Beast is a total sweetheart by the end of the movie and he falls head over heels in love with Belle

.

Although in today's society, gender roles are slowly being changed, there is still a majority of men and women that follow these gender roles. More and more men today are taking the role of the house-care. More men are caring for the kids, cleaning the house, and cooking the food while the women are out working and making the income for the household. Women today are defying gender rolls much like the beast did and are taking control of their own lives. Rather than sitting around and dreaming for something better, they are going out and making something of their lives.