How Generation Z Is Different From Generations X And Y

8 Ways Gen Zers Stand Out From Previous Generations, And No It's Not Because We're 'Tech Obsessed'

We actually crave MORE face time, and there are studies that prove it.

246

Some things never change. People will always come up with different twists on old recipes. They long to travel to new places and learn new things. On the other hand, they'll also take pride in their generation and deal with criticism from the generations before them.

When this happens, change is hard to accept. It's what divides the generations more than their labels. Lately, Generation Y — also known as millennials — has gotten a bad reputation from Generation X. They've taken the world by storm and changed things in their wake. Now, Generation Z is coming up right behind them.

Read on to learn 8 ways Gen Z is different from Gens X or Y. They're the future of the human race and show interesting tendencies previous generations haven't. They're a great example of where humanity is heading and everything it has to look forward to.

1. Gen Z Grew up With Tech

Computers and the internet didn't become commonplace until the '90s, but by the time Gen Z began in 2000, everything tech had already gone through many different developmental updates. Kids in this generation were born into a world of touch screens and voice-activated tech, which they learned to use at a young age.

Other generations before them didn't have that kind of opportunity. Gen X, aka the "Oregon Trail generation," used clunky desktop computers in middle or elementary school. Gen Y may have grown up using computers, but not in the always-online environment we take for granted today. This kind of technological advantage gives Gen Z more experience with how tech works and how it can improve.

2. Gen Z is More Diverse

America has always been a country of diversity, but Gen Z is the most diverse generation on record. A recent study conducted by the Pew Research Center showed 48 percent of Gen Z is nonwhite, compared to 39 percent of Gen X and 18 percent of Gen Y. The decades of civil and women's rights progression have only become more prevalent with time, thanks to young generations like Gen Z using social media to amplify their voices and concerns.

3. Gen Z is Less Religious

During America's founding years, Christianity was the dominant religion, but not anymore. Today, research shows only 46.5 percent of people identify as Christian, with that number shrinking each year.

That might be related to Gen Z and how they're less religious than previous generations. Approximately one-third of Gen Z has no preferred religion, identifying as atheist or agnostic instead. While this alarms previous generations who hold different opinions, the distancing from faith connects to what's making America a more diverse country.

4. Gen Z is Financially Frugal

The youngest sibling in the family gets to learn from the mistakes of their older siblings, which is true for Gen Z. They've seen their older counterparts take on varying amounts of debt, depending on when they were born. Gen X was the first to introduce debt to the younger generations and carries an average of $36,000 in debt, not including their mortgages.

Gen Y shoulders even more. The average millennial has $42,000 in debt, not including their student loans or potential mortgages. It makes Gen Z cautious about their cash. They saw their parents go through the 2008 recession and their siblings take on tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. They're taking a different approach to money, saving college funds earlier and opting for education in non-university settings.

5. Gen Z Prefers Their Phones

When it comes to entertainment, modern technology makes it accessible almost anywhere. Gens X and Y grew up with nightly television shows, but TV has begun to change in recent years. Entertainment now stems from smartphones, which is exactly where Gen Z is.

During the week, Gen Z spends an average of 15.4 hours on their phones. That's more time than they spend on any other device, compared to other generations using their television sets. Given the latest updates in app technology, it's not surprising that the generation who grew up with tech is using it to their advantage.

6. Gen Z Has a Lot of Budding Entrepreneurs

Gen X had an American dream where they built a career for themselves by working hard at their job and climbing the workplace ladder. Gen Y followed a similar dream but allowed it to be more flexible with multiple job changes and possible career jumps.

Now, Gen Z wants to take the reins and control their careers by running businesses. Instead of working their way to the top, the youngest generation dream of becoming entrepreneurs and are 55 percent more likely to do so. They know how to use the technology at their fingertips to connect them with leaders and find resources to make their business a reality.

7. Gen Z Desires Leadership Opportunities

Even if some Gen Z members aren't entrepreneurially-minded, the majority do desire leadership. A recent study found 61 percent of Gen Z students and professionals hope to be a leader in their community or workplace one day.

While Gens X and Y also tested high for the same question, Gen Z may have a more direct way of achieving that, since they don't plan on playing the long game with their career.

8. Gen Z Wants Face Time

Gen Z is often the butt of jokes due to how much they communicate through text messages and social media, but social trends prove they value face time. In the workplace, Gen Z members overwhelmingly chose in-person training sessions at 69 percent, compared to 25 percent of Gens X and Y.

Outside work is no different. Fifty-one percent of Gen Z noted they preferred to meet in person with people instead of emailing or video chatting. This trend will be interesting to watch in the future, since one in five Americans works remotely every week, with that number on the rise.

Gen Z has seen many changes throughout their lives. Instead of being defeated by them, they've learned to embrace and adapt to change. They jump at the chance to learn about new tech. They're looking to grow outside the old American dream standard. Most importantly, they want the world to change with them for the better.