GCU Pep Band: We Want YOU

GCU Pep Band: We Want YOU

Come be a part of something greater than yourself.
427

Around GCU's campus, have you ever seen any goofy people wearing matching outfits and carrying instruments? Yeah, those people are part of GCU's very own Thundering Heard Pep Band. As the new year is approaching, the Pep Band is looking for new people who are interested in playing an instrument and being a part of something greater than themselves.

Don't know how to play an instrument? No problem! As long as you are interested and dedicated to learning the instrument, you will be fine and more than welcome! As of now, the following positions we have open are:

1 piccolo

2 flutes

3 Clarinets

3 Trumpets

3 Horns (French horns)

7 Trombones

1 Baritone

2 Tubas

2 Tenor Drums

Being a part of the Pep Band is such an amazing experience. You get to meet new people, make new friends, and have new experiences. Speaking personally, being a part of the Pep Band has given me a chance to come out of my shell and have fun in a way I didn't know how.

I have never been a fan of sports besides Volleyball, but being a part of the Pep Band has let me open my eyes and have fun at basketball and soccer games as well. I have a blast when I am at a basketball game. I absolutely love watching both our women's and men's team play. I dance, I sing along to pretty much every song, and I cheer on our teams like there is no tomorrow.

Need more convincing? Well, lucky for you, I have interviewed a few of the members of the Pep Band to talk about their experiences throughout their past year(s) of being a part of it. Here are a few quotes from some members.

1. Clarinet Player - Junior

"Pep band was an opportunity for me to build new friendships here at GCU. My first year here at GCU was not the greatest but when I heard the school had a pep band I told myself that I needed to join. My first year in the THPB was a blast. I got to make new friends and meet a ton of different people all different majors in which a fascinating thing was. I had only thought it was for people studying music.

When I went to the first THPB rehearsal I remember sitting in the back very quiet not wanting to talk to anyone. Then I had the bright faces come up to me and introduce themselves in which brought a smile to my face. When meeting these people, I was like “wow very friendly and outgoing people why didn’t I know or see these people my freshman year?” After being in the band for a month I had my own friend group and we did many things together.

Then came the time to get ready for midnight madness. I had no idea what it was but Paul (the director of bands) had told us it’s a time for us to dress up and play some cool new music. So, when the day came for midnight madness, I saw fellow band members dressed up in costumes in which some seemed like it took forever. It made me the happiest person ever because it gave me the opportunity to be as crazy as I wanted.

The pep band gave me an excuse to yell, cheer, and be myself. At all the sports events that I attended I was able to be out of my comfort zone and be crazy like everyone else. Pep band, to me, was the opportunity for me to sometimes escape reality and live in this place surrounded with amazing, talented, and genuine people who all gather together to do one thing they love and that was to play music."

2. Clarinet Player - Sophomore

"Pep band was such a great experience for me. From welcome week to rehearsal to basketball games, pep band never stops. Meeting so many new people was one of the best outcomes of pep band. I met my lifelong friends here and hope to continue sharing memories and having fun throughout college. Band is extremely under-appreciated but nonetheless it is still a group I am proud to be a part of. Even when no one wants to be at the games or when we are feeling down, pep band has always made life better. The people a part of band are high spirited and extremely caring; there will always be someone who has your back! Pep band has given me experiences I couldn't get as a normal student, cheerleader, dancer, or havoc."

3. GCU Pep Band Alumni

"When I joined pep band, I assumed it would be like high school marching band (except the marching part). After the first meeting my first year, I discovered it was much more than that. I formed a strong bond with the members of my section and we became a family. What really made me enjoy pep band was the atmosphere at the games. Also, the music ranges from the 80’s to now which draws the attention to everybody attending the games. Overall, Pep Band is a wonderful experience that made my time at GCU memorable."

I even had the members of the Pep Band take a survey to see how they felt about the pep band. Of course, it was anonymous because I needed them to be honest without bias right? Below are some of the responses to the survey.

1. Respondent #4

What year are you?: "Freshman"

What is your major?: "Business Administration"

Why did you join Pep Band?: "To continue on with my musical career at a collegiate level, to make new friends, and to make my college years memorable".

How long have you been playing your instrument?: "6 years"

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "The WAC Championship trip to Vegas."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "It was amazing! Best choice I have ever made and I will never forget the people I met and the awesome times we all had together."

2. Respondent #8

What year are you?: "Freshman"

What is your major?: "Computer Science"

Why did you join Pep Band?: "I enjoy playing music."

How long have you been playing your instrument?: "I have played sax for 6 years but I play other instruments."

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "Going to the WAC Championship. It was tons of fun."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "As long as you have a good attitude and go with the flow, everything turns out really well. Everyone is very nice."

3. Respondent #16

What year are you?: "Sophomore"

What is your major?: "Informational Technology"

Why did you join Pep Band?: "To play music and have fun."

How long have you been playing you instrument?: "2 years"

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "Having fun and playing my instrument at the games."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "It is demanding and time-consuming but also very rewarding."

4. Respondent #21

What year are you?: "Sophomore"

What is your major?: "Pre-med"

Why did you join Pep Band?: "For the scholarship".

How long have you been playing your instrument?: "9 years"

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "Being at the basketball games with friends."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "It can be a pain but it is also fun."

5. Respondent #9

What year are you?: "Junior"

What is your major?: "Music performance"

Why did you join Pep Band?: "The scholarship"

How long have you been playing your instrument?: "It seems like forever."

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "Going to Vegas."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "There are good and bad sides to it as they are to everything. There are travel opportunities but it also takes up a lot of time so you need to be committed."

6. Respondent #30

What year are you?: "Junior"

What is your major?: "Mechanical Engineering"

Why did you join Pep Band?: "Because I like playing my instrument."

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "Playing and hanging out with my section."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "Very busy."

7. Respondent #5

What year are you?: "Senior"

What is your major?: "Music Education"

Why did you join Pep Band?: "I like playing my instrument and playing with people."

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "I've met great friends being in Pep Band."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "Be distant and you'll regret it. Make friends and grow a family and you'll love it."

8. Respondent #11

What year are you?: "Senior"

What is your major?: "Music Education"

Why did you join the Pep Band?: "To play music, meet new people, and the scholarship."

How long have you been playing your instrument?: "12 years"

What has been your favorite moment in Pep Band?: "The basketball games."

How would you describe your Pep Band experience?: "It is worth a shot. Meet new people who enjoy playing, same section but different majors. The Pep Band is one of the many faces of GCU and you won't regret the experience."

These are just eight out of the many responses I got. Yes, to clarify a few things; you do get a scholarship for being in Pep Band but don't let that be your only deciding factor in joining. Being in the Pep Band will give you an amazing and different experience. Yes, being in the Pep Band is a commitment and we are very busy people, but if you make the best out of it, you will have fun!

If you have any questions about joining or you or someone you know would like to have the chance to be apart of the wonderful group that is the Pep Band, please, reach out to me. Don't miss out on the chance to be apart of something great.