Garnet, Black, And Fired Up: Football Is Near, Gamecock Fans

7

Football season is right around the corner and everyone is ready for a fresh start. After a disappointing 2014 season, the Gamecocks are ready to bounce back and prove everyone wrong. Here’s why you should be excited for this year’s team.

Cooper stepping up. The offense will look very different this year, with new and young guys on the field. They’ll have a new quarterback, running back and a few new linemen, which could be interesting. Although they’re not sure yet who will be starting in these positions, one offensive member is for sure that they can count on; wide receiver Pharoh Cooper. Cooper was a bit of a surprise last year, but ended up 2nd in the SEC in receiving yards and proved to be a playmaker. He also said he’s ready to help the younger guys get comfortable and ready. If Cooper can be an assistant to the new players and continue his strong playing, the offense could end up being very dominate despite being young.

Improved Defense. Defense was a huge issue last season so obviously big things needed to change. Spurrier hired Jon Hoke as their new defensive coordinator, which will hopefully help. Hoke and Spurrier worked together at Florida, and Hoke has worked recently in the NFL. With the new defensive coaching team of Hoke and Lorenzo Ward, along with the strength in the linebackers, there should be a vast improvement with the defense.

Spurrier isn’t done just yet. HBC Steve Spurrier has received a lot of heat lately due to his age. After turning 70 in April, many believe that his time is almost done. After getting bombarded with questions at SEC Media day, and reporters constantly writing about it, Spurrier held a last minute press conference to put an end to this. He referred to the negative comments and people as our “enemies” and that this year is a completely different year. Although he may be older, he believes that he has plenty left in him and plans on coaching for a long time. Spurrier has done great things with the USC football program, and he's ready to get back to those ways.

"We've got a dang good team this year". During his impromptu press conference, Spurrier tried to wave away the haters and restore some faith in Gamecock fans. He said they're ready to come back this year and to have faith in their "dang good team". Spurrier said they're fired up and told fans not to listen to the haters, and be ready for everything to come.

This.

It's almost time, Gamecocks. Get ready to sandstorm.