Why You Should Celebrate Galentine's Day

Grab your gal pals and celebrate each other

6

First off, you might be wondering if Galentine's Day is even a real holiday and the answer is no, but it should be!

Galentine's Day was created in 2010 by fictional character Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation. In season two, Parks and Rec included an episode called "Galentine's Day", dubbed by yours truly, Leslie Knope.

Leslie gathers a group of her closest girlfriends for a brunch of waffles and celebrating eachother. "Every February 13, my ladyfriends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style," Leslie says in the episode. "Ladies celebrating ladies."

What more could you ask for? Galentine's Day is basically a free pass to spoil not only yourself, but your best friends too.

Now that you've marked Galentine's Day on your calendar (February 13th if you were wondering), here's ten ways you can celebrate with your girlfriends!

1. Host a potluck! Everyone can bring their favorite dishes (Or in the case of college students, their favorite way to prepare Ramen Noodles)
  2. Or...if you have more of a sweet tooth and want to skip straight to dessert have a dessert potluck!
  3. Do some crafts! From friendship bracelets to custom designed wine glasses, the possibilities are endless.
  4. Throw a slumber party! Pull out your comfiest sweats or your cutest pj's and have some friends over.
  5. Go out! Wear the outfit you feel most confident in and go out with your girls! (Pro Tip: Make it a rule to have all phones away as to not accidentally text that ex)
  6. Treat yo self to a spa day!
  7. Or if you're on a budget, bring the spa to you! Buy some facemask, nail polish and go crazy.
  8. Make some goodie bags for your gal pals! It doesn't have to be anything expensive. Just little things you know they'll like.
  9. Make a homemade card for your best friends and tell them what you love about them!
  10. Go on a little shopping spree together and treat yourselves!

There's no wrong way to celebrate Galentine's Day as long as you're with your best gal pals.