You Should See FYP's Newsies

Why You Should See FYP's Newsies

Some words on why this is not something you want to miss.

254
Why You Should See FYP's Newsies

Since the beginning of this semester, I have had the privilege of being a cast member of First Year Players in their production of Disney's Newsies.

Something important to know about FYP is that every aspect of this organization is directed by the students. From acting, choreography, and music to art, PR, finance, and more, EVERYTHING you will see was brought from the ground up by students.

The show runs April 11 - 13 (Thursday - Saturday) at 8:00 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. Tickets are $4 with a SUID, $7 without. They can be bought at the Schine Student Center Box Office, or through this link.

Below are a few reasons to come see our show, told by some of the First-Years.

1. Maddie Wasson, cast member

"I think you should come to see Newsies because (a) it's an incredible show, and a lot of really talented people have been working really hard on it... but also (b) It's sort of a reflection of our societal issues involving young people having a voice in politics, and reflects a lot of current issues in a fun and entertaining way. It's more than just a bunch of first years putting on a Disney show... it's a bunch of young adults using their passion for musical theatre to express how they feel about their futures."

2. Lauren Plattman, stage crew

"You should come to Newsies obviously to see all our hard work, but also because FYP is one of the only organizations that are truly student-run. FYP inspires freshman and transfer students - who didn't even know each other 4 months ago - to come together and create magic both on and off the stage!"

3. Sam Aaronson, cast member

"You should come to see Newsies because it's a show about a group of kids being/becoming a family, and that's exactly what we've done as first-year students and as members of this organization."

4. Andy Phan, pit orchestra

"You should come to see Newsies because the pit simply kills the game. Featuring several individual musicians in the show, the FYP pit orchestra never fails to bring the energy - not only from the music but also to the people on the stage, the wonderful cast! The crew is also incredible. You may also see several familiar faces from bands and a cappella groups!"

5. Michael Loccisano, cast member

"You should come to see Newsies because of the beautiful storyline, and to see the characters fight for what is right in New York City in 1899. Not only that, but the production is all around amazing and such a fun show to be a part of. The talent in this cast is unreal, and the energy from the ensemble and cast as a whole is something I've never felt before on stage. It's something people need to experience in order to believe it. COME SEE NEWSIES!"

6. Emily Graham, pit orchestra

"You should come to see Newsies because it really sends a powerful message about what young people can do to cause a change in their community and in the world. Also, everyone has been pouring their hearts and souls into this show, and the community we have built around it really shows on stage."

7. Annaliese Wilbur, cast member

"You need to come to see Newsies because it contains universality. From dancing acting, and singing to rebellion, love, and heartbreak, there is something in this show that will appeal to every individual in the audience. Everyone can find something to love about NEWSIES!"

8. James Hyman, stage crew

"I think you should come to the show not necessarily because it's going to be absolutely fantastic in every facet of acting, music, and dancing, but because the people who have worked so hard to make this show happen - cast, crew, pit, and staff - are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life, and deserve all the recognition they can get."

9. Alex Guiliano, pit orchestra

"You should come to see Newsies because the cast, crew, and pit, is CRAZY talented and we want to share our hard work with our peers!"

10. Zach Jasmin, cast member

"You should come to see FYP's production of Newsies because it's a jaw-dropping performance with an eye-opening story. There's no place I'd rather be on April 11,12, and 13th than at Newsies. Tickets for shows at theatres around here usually start at $50. Come see an extraordinary show for just 4 dollars. It's truly an opportunity you can't afford to miss."

11. Bella Rossi, stage crew

"I think that you should come to Newsies because of the ensemble! The ensemble doesn't always get enough love, but this show will be great because whether you're looking at the leads, ensemble, the set, it'll feel real. Everyone's been working hard to make the show as seamless as possible. The ensemble never breaks character and their different personalities absolutely fill up the stage."

12. Kenna Kelley, cast member

"I think you should come to see FYP's Newsies because the amount of love and passion we radiate off the stage will BLOW YOUR MIND. You will feel moved walking out of our show and I am so proud of that! Come see it!"

13. Sydni Tougas, pit orchestra

"You should come to see Newsies for soooo many reasons!!!! The first show I ever saw on Broadway was actually Newsies when I was 13 years old. This show is perfect for people of all ages. I loved it then, and I love it now. It's funny, charming, and - most importantly - very catchy. The music is so infectious in the best way possible. It's the show that got me into musical theatre, and here I am - 6 years later - finally taking part in putting the production together. I am so excited to share this show with more audiences, and really want people to see the enjoyment and thrill this show can provide."

14. Morgan Eaton, cast member

"I think you should see Newsies because it's empowering. It's reflective of our current society, and in that we see the youth making a profound impact on real social issues."

15. Sal Pepe, pit orchestra

"It's an opportunity to see the true passion in its rawest form. The kids here aren't studying to be Broadway actors/actresses or to be professional set designers or musicians, but everyone puts in tons of time because it's what they love to do. Something about getting like-minded people together to do what they love is just magical, and it really makes every second worth it. The show will be amazing and will reflect the absolute joy we take in putting on shows and expressing ourselves through musical theatre!"

16. AJ Santosuasso, stage crew

"It's a bunch of nineteen year olds pretending to be fourteen year-olds. What's not to like?"

17. Ellie Sherfey, cast member

"You should come to see Newsies because we work so so very hard as an all student-produced production and it has been fantastic to work with student staff as opposed to adults! It's also been amazing to be able to be in my favorite show ever with such a talented and collaborative, diverse cast! As a dancer, I look up to this show for its athleticism, but also its deep emotional context bc this kind of life was so real at the time. Please come see Newsies to support this group of people who I've been able to learn so much from."

18. Ian Yates, pit orchestra

"I think you should come to see Newsies because this show is so well executed from every perspective. Sure, most shows can manage to pull great singing, acting, dancing, and stuff like that. But to have a show that is great from a casting standpoint, a technical standpoint with the crew, and a musical standpoint with the pit is something rare and unbelievably special. The bond everyone has formed shows, both on and off the stage, and it makes the show better than it already was."

19. Ben Piers, cast member

"I think you should come to see Newsies because the show is being put on by a bunch of people who literally met each other last month, and to see now are insanely close together theatre has brought us. All of us are best friends, and it really shows on stage. Newsies are definitely something you're not going to want to miss!"

20. Amanda Gabriel, pit orchestra

"YOU should come to see Newsies because it's filled with students who have worked their BUTTS off, and it has some of the most bangin' musical numbers ever. It will be impossible to not have fun!"

21. And lastly... ME! (cast member)

"I love theatre more than almost anything, and I'd first heard about First Year Players in my junior year of high school when I toured SU. I'd had my heart set on it ever since, but I'd had no clue it'd turn out the way it has. FYP has turned out to be so much more to me than a group of freshmen and transfers putting on a show. It's challenged and motivated me in ways I'd never expected, and it's helped me find the confidence that I previously could have only dreamed of. It's truly unlike anything I've ever done or anything you've ever seen... so come see it. You should come to see Newsies to witness for yourself the incredible story we're telling. Performing with such amazing people has been by far the greatest experience ever for me, and I have never been more excited to put on a show for people. Hopefully, I'll see you in the audience!"

Once again...

First Year Players' production of NEWSIES runs April 11 - 13 (Thursday - Saturday) at 8:00 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. Tickets are $4 with a SUID, $7 without. They can be bought at the Schine Student Center Box Office, or through this link.

We hope to see you there!