5 Truths Every Future Teacher 100 Percent Already Knows, So You Don't Have To Remind Them

We are going to school for years, to be in a school for the rest of our working lives.

1076

All of us future teachers typically hear the same sorts of things about what we are going to be doing with the rest of our lives. While none of the following reasons are necessarily untrue, there are silver linings to absolutely all of them that make each and every one of the future teachers sitting in college classrooms right now, even more excited for what lies ahead.

1. We do understand that we won't necessarily make a lot of money.

One of my professors told my class that if you're taking this career path for the money, you're in the wrong place because this should be about your love for teaching, not for an increasing salary. While it is important to know what you're getting into, I completely agree with that professor.

2. We know being an education major is actually difficult.

On a college campus, the most common stereotype floating around about education majors is that their workload is extremely easy as well as their classes. Sure, it's no Stoichiometry (I can't even imagine sitting in a classroom learning about that), but our classes are hard in their own way. Having to relearn the basics of subtracting three-digit numbers to then be able to teach to a second grader is a lot harder than it sounds, thank you common core!

3. It's not really the same thing every year.

As a teacher, you have a curriculum that requires you to teach the same content to your students every year for the duration of your career. However, every year has the potential to be extremely different from the next. Each year you have a new batch of kids, a new batch of personalities and a new batch of stories. This is one of the most exciting parts about teaching, you have the ability to know what to expect but also so much uncertainty at the same time.

4. Yes, we will be with children all day.

"Aren't you going to get bored talking like a kid and having to look down a few feet just to make eye contact?" Yes I have been asked this and frankly, as a future teacher, I wouldn't want it any other way! Working with kids all day and being their support system and voice while also providing them with the things they need to learn as they grow up is my ideal day in the workplace. But yes, there will be adults as well, other teachers, who all will feel the same way when we take a break from those kids at lunch.

5. It takes a special heart to be a teacher.

Yes, this is an argument all around the education field, and while it's true, I believe that anyone could work to have the heart to be a teacher. Being a teacher requires patience, care, love, and the desire to work with kids. If you don't have any of these qualities, then yes maybe it does take a special heart to be a teacher.

With all of the above comments kept in mind, I personally couldn't be more excited to teach kids of any ability and age. Working with children on a daily basis for nine months out of the year can get negative comments, but as a future teacher I think that there is a silver lining to each one of the five comments. If you think about it, there probably is a teacher in your life that without, you might not have gotten to the point you are at today. So thank your past teachers, and here's to the the future teachers.