An Open Letter To My (Future) Sister-In-Law

To the girl who is lucky enough to be marrying my brother.

33860
Claire Downey

To the girl who is marrying my brother:

Hope you're ready for what you're getting yourself into. Along with my brother comes the siblings, mom and dad, the rest of the family and the dog. You may think you know how weird we are, but it gets worse — and so much better.

You have made my brother the best version of himself, and he is very lucky to have found a life partner in you. You get him and he gets you, and I am happy that I am going to be able to call you my sister soon. Having you in my life has been a blessing, and you have strengthened my relationship with my brother and because of you, he and I are so much closer.

You've been around for awhile, so you have been fortunate enough to see me and my siblings grow up. At the same time, we have seen you grow into an amazing woman. I can't wait to have you as my big sister for the rest of my life. You know me just as well as my siblings do and you have seen me grow from an awkward fifth grader to a young adult. You have been by my side through failed friendships and relationships.

We have already experienced a lot of life events together from you graduating high school and college, to me graduating high school, to you buying a house, to me helping my brother plan the perfect proposal for you, and to having too much fun at the bachelorette party. We have created abundant memories together, and I cannot wait to make more.

I was honored when you asked me to be a bridesmaid, and I have loved helping you every step of the way, from picking out dresses, to making programs, to making table numbers. Though it has been stressful, I would not take it back for the world. Helping you plan the day you get to become an official member of our family has been an amazing gift and embedded memories into me that I will never forget.

Thank you for always being there for my brother and putting up with all of the crazy things that have happened over the last years of my life. He will always be my big brother, but I am willing to share him with you because I know you will take care of him and that you will both make each other very happy. I am happy to be able to give you the gift of having a little sister.

Very soon you will be married into my family and we will gladly add another girl into the mix. Thank you for breaking my brother out of his shell and encouraging/making him into the very best brother and man he could be. Thank you in advance for what an amazing wife you are going to be for him.

Thank you for being willingly to join this crazy thing we call a family and for being my favorite person to talk to at family gatherings. I cannot wait to stand by your side on the big day and officially have a big sister.

Much love,

Your new little sister