To My Future Self, I Know What I'm Doing

I think I do, anyway...

10

Dear You,

Present you has been up to good and bad things, but you already know that by now. So many happy things are happening in your life, and hopefully it has gotten so much better on your end. Past us is probably wondering how in the world we got to where we are today, but isn't that a good thing? I mean, life is the most spontaneous thing ever, and why should we hate that?

Over the past few months, I have seen highs and lows both in my career and my education. While that is not a bad thing, I wanted you to know that I know what I'm doing, at least a little bit. I feel like, with a lot of my decisions, you judge everything that I do. But I swear, I'm not doing all this for nothing!

Let's see what I've done to get me here (as crazy as it sounds):

1. I transferred to another university.

That probably made you go crazy because you were so comfortable with the campus after being there for an entire year of your life. Obviously it is a big change, and there will be highs and lows everywhere, and leaving a year of school just to start over in a more intensive program? That's insane. But just remember, I'm doing this for you, our career, and our future in the performing arts.

2. I've watched waaaaay too much "Law & Order: SVU."

OK, yes, I really have. And I've eaten way too many Oreo's, but COME ON. I know you're a fitness junky, but you and I both know that you also love a good crime show watching Benson kick some criminal booty. Who doesn't?

3. I've taken two jobs, working 7 days a week.

This is probably the craziest thing that I've done, and I know that you are screaming at me to find my brain just in case I dropped it. HOWEVER, working two jobs at once has really shown me how to delegate my time to my family and friends, as well as how to save money to get something that I truly want. It has shown me what strength is and also what it feels like to be so tired that you also fall over before you can hit your pillow.

But even after all these things, including others, I know that you, of all people, understand my choices as I've made them. Obviously, because you have lived and seen what these decisions have done for us. I've made many bad decisions, but also good ones to make up for them. And sometimes, it isn't a bad decision if it helps a person succeed in life. I mean, how else am I able to literally fly across the ocean to train in Italy for four whole weeks? WE DID THAT. Based on an audition that happened on a whim after our professor mentioned it.

So many good things have come to us because we have waited for what is rightfully ours. We haven't made it yet, but we are very well on our way.