How To Cope With A College Heartbreak
Exes

3 Lessons On Heartbreak I Know My Future Self Will Need

I hope you laugh reading this.

169
woman alone standing in wheat field

To my future self,

You are currently a first-semester freshman in college. You just experienced your first real heartbreak. You and your boyfriend broke up this past week. The hardest part is that he lives in the same dorm as you, so you're bound to see him whether you would like to or not. Although you are feeling down right now, I am going to write some words of wisdom.

Everything happens for a reason

You live by this saying. You're even getting a tattoo that says this. Never forget that "everything happens for a reason," especially during the rough times. This will keep you going. Sometimes bad things happen in order to allow good things to happen. You have to keep looking at things in this way. It's gotten you through plenty before, and I hope it will still get you through plenty in the future. I'm hoping by the time my future self is reading this, I understand why I had to feel heartbreak like this so soon in college, and I'm hoping something else that is good will come out of the negatives.

You are strong

You have had people criticize you your whole life. Whether it is how you look, act, dress, smile all the time, etc... Do not let their comments change you. Stay true to yourself. We all know you're the outgoing girl who loves going out with her friends, dancing with them, and smiling the whole night because you just can't stop. You have gotten through plenty in your past with friend breakups, and even other types of breakups, you can get through this one too. You can get through anything, don't lose sight of that.

Everything is a lesson

I have to constantly remind myself that everything is a lesson now, even though I never want to accept it. I'm hoping by the time I am reading this, it is ingrained into my mind. Bad things happen so you can learn from them. If bad things never happened, you would never be taught anything. You wouldn't know how to persevere and be the strong, independent woman you are today. This heartbreak happened for a reason. Others are definitely coming in the near future. They will happen for you to learn. It will shape you into your future self.