12 Of The Funniest Characters In Serious Shows That Will Always Make You Laugh

They give dramas a little bit of light

1370

In teen dramas and other suspenseful shows, there is usually one character that brings a little comedy in the show. That way it isn't so serious all the time and gives the show more of a dynamic. The funny characters are always very well loved and become some of the audience's favorites. Here are 12 of the funniest characters in relatively serious shows.

1. Damon Salvatore ("The Vampire Diaries")

Popsugar

Damon Salvatore can be a serious character in the vampire drama series but he often has the funny one-liners that make you smile in midst of the drama. He makes jokes and gives characters nicknames. Damon is the bad brother who falls for the main character Elena but he also is the funniest character on the show.

2. Odafin Tutuola ("Law and Order: Special Victims Unit")

Buzzfeed

This is a very serious show that deals with a lot of difficult topics and cases. Detective Tutuola is played by Ice-T and along with his character being a good detective, he is also a funny partner to have. He gives a difficult show to watch, a little bit of light and so it doesn't put the audience in too much of a dark place.

3. Castiel ("Supernatural")

Tenor

"Supernatural" is mostly serious but there is a lot of comedy mixed in to give it more of a dynamic. They deal with strange supernatural cases and creepy characters but they mix characters like Castiel, a fallen angel who is hilariously clueless when it comes to living on Earth. It gives the show comedy and makes people laugh along with being on the edge of their seat.

4. Chris Miles ("Skins UK")

Wifflegif

"Skins" (UK) deals with teen dramas and some serious topics but they add a little comedy in there within certain characters. One of those characters is Chris Miles who is a teenager that parties a bit much but is also funny and always giving light to the show. He is there to make the characters who have a hard time, smile while still having his own problems.

5. Kev and Vee ("Shameless")

Buzzfeed

"Shameless" (US) is also another show that has comedy but also deals with a lot of difficult topics. Kevin and Veronica are a couple that are always there for the Gallagher family and they both bring comedy in the show. Kev is hilarious when it comes to his ditziness and Veronica is hilarious when it comes to her sass. In moments that are serious, they shed a little light and also become relationship goals.

6. Aunt Hilda ("The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina")

Bookidote

"The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" is a darker twist on the story of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. It is serious and dark but has great characters that lead us on a journey. Aunt Hilda brings comedy to the show which gives the show a mixture of genres. Hilda's personality and pastel fashion makes us smile while the show entrances us and keep us on the edge of our seat.

7. Stiles Stilinski ("Teen Wolf")

MakeAGif

Teen Wolf is a teenage supernatural drama that has a lot of creatures and stories that keep us interested in the show. It has a bit of comedy but is also drama filled. Stiles is a character that brings comedy to the show. He is the goofy human that helps out his friends who aren't technically human. Throughout the story of the show, he's character will always make the audience laugh and is a favorite.

8. Josh ("The Originals")

Wattpad

"The Originals" was "The Vampire Diaries" spin-off and it was focused on the villains of "The Vampire Diaries" story. Except this show tells their story and proves that they aren't exactly the villains they were pegged as. A lot of drama happens within the show as they protect their family and most of the show is serious besides a couple of lines the characters may have. But Josh is a character who befriends a teenage witch and becomes apart of the Mikaelson's lives. He is a character that brings a little bit of comedy to the show and has the funniest lines. In a serious show, Josh brings a smile and a quirky line to keep the audience and the characters up.

9. Jessica Jones ("Jessica Jones")

WeHeartIt

In the show "Jessica Jones," it is mostly serious as Jessica is trying her hardest to save people from the person who abused her. Although for this show the funniest character is the main character. Jessica Jones deals with a lot and is a bit of a drunk but she also is fierce and funny. She doesn't care what people think and will say as she pleases which gives her show a bit of comedy.

10. Seth Gecko ("From Dusk Till Dawn")

WeHeartIt

From Dusk Till Dawn is a series that is created by the same director who made the movie with Quentin Tarantino. This show is mostly serious as the gangster brothers get into a little bit more than just trouble with the law. Throughout the show, there is a bit of comedy based on one-liners of some of the characters but as the show goes on Seth Gecko (the human brother) starts becoming the funny one. He reacts to scary things in a funny way that is very relatable. Seth brings a bit of comedy to the excellent show that adds to the movie we all loved.

11. Hanna Marin ("Pretty Little Liars")

"Pretty Little Liars" is a teen drama that had a lot of suspense and constant drama. It lasted for many seasons because it kept their audience on the edge of their seats. This show is mostly serious and drama filled but some of the characters had funny lines to give it more of a dynamic. Hanna was the character with the funniest lines because she didn't have a filter, didn't care what people thought and also had her ditzy moments. With the girls in the show having so much drama in their lives, it was a fresh idea that characters like Hanna Marin didn't lose their humor.

12. Suzanne ("Orange is the New Black")

Gfycat

"Orange is the New Black" is about an all-girls prison and what happens within the walls. It is serious most of the time but also has a darker comedy to it. Suzanne is also known as "crazy eyes" and is seen as insane, although what her character goes through and how misunderstood she is can make you sad; her character does give a comedy light to the serious show.

All of these characters shed light on serious topics and gave dramas more of a dynamic rather than focusing on one genre. These characters become beloved favorites because they can be the most relatable. It is hard not to love these characters because they make us laugh even when the show is serious.