Atlanta. Hollywood of the South. The biggest airport in the world. Hotlanta. It has many names and many visitors, but what makes Atlanta special? Its rich history? Its lively shopping scene? Its growing gentrified neighborhoods? What makes Atlanta so interesting is its attractions. Often times, many of its overrated and not so fun attractions are over advertised and tourists end up spending time and money at lackluster tourist traps.

This is an article detailing the fun things to do when visiting the ATL, many of which often get overshadowed by the less exciting attractions in the city so that we can keep up our reputation as one of the best cities to visit in the south. We have a taste of urbanization with just the right amount of soul and southern charm.

1. Atlanta Beltline

The Atlanta beltline is an amazing, gorgeous, and super fun thing to do in Atlanta. All areas of the beltline trail offer fantastic views of the city, and tons of photo opportunities. There are lots of local small businesses spread along the beltline trail, and it's great to have so many places to explore! Try to find @TinydoorsATL, which are small tiny doors scattered along the beltline.

2. Ponce City Market

Ponce City Market, a fashion and culinary destination, is a recently constructed combination of shops and restaurants in the bones of an old Sears factory building! It has an amazing urbanized, gentrified, industrial feel! The stores and restaurants can be a bit on the more expensive side, but you can't go wrong with any of the places in Ponce City Market. Recently, they have added The Roof at Ponce City, where you can ride the elevator to the roof of the massive refurbished factory and enjoy additional food, drinks, attractions, views, and killer photo opportunities!

3. Atlantic Station

Atlantic Station is a great place for shopping, eating, catching a movie or a Cirque du Soleil show at the right time of year, or seeing more great views of the city! With close proximity to other attractions in Midtown and the Georgia Institute of Technology, this is a can't miss attraction in Atlanta.

4. Fox Theatre

The Fox Theatre, a historical building in the heart of Midtown Atlanta, is the best place for theatre virgins and theatre lovers alike to catch a show! With a phenomenal atmosphere and building decorations, you can't go wrong with an evening spent at The Fox walking the red carpet!

5. The Varsity

What'll Ya Have? You haven't lived until you've answered this question. The greasy spoon diner food is amazing here, and everything on the menu is delicious. A local's tip: try The Varsity Orange and WEAR THE VARSITY HAT. TAKE A PIC IN IT. It's fun for all ages!

6. High Museum of Art

This museum is very fun, educational, and interesting for a wide variety of age ranges and it is hardly ever crowded! New artists showcase their work all the time, so there's always something new at The High!

7. SunTrust Park 

The newly constructed SunTrust Park is a place that tourists must visit! In Atlanta we love our Braves, and there is never a dull moment at the games!

8. Six Flags Over Georgia 

Six Flags Over Georgia has some of the best rollercoasters in the south and it's a favorite among locals and tourists alike!