10 Cheap Summer Activities To Do In A Small Town

There's more to life than hanging out at Walmart.

1198

The worst thing about small towns? They're incredibly boring. When there are no Friday night football games, fairs, or dances to occupy your time, trying to find things to do can be a challenge. There are only so many times you can hang out at McDonald's, right? Luckily for you, I've made a list of a few simple (and cheap) ways to entertain yourself over the summer.

1. Go camping. There's always a park nearby with a small or no fee. Just grab some friends and a tent and you're ready.

2. Drive somewhere you've never been. Road trips are easy, they can be inexpensive, and they're fun. Even if the "somewhere" is just three towns over, there's sure to be something there to surprise you.

3. Go hiking. It's free! As long as you have some decent trails, you're good to go.

4. Find a secondhand store. Whether it's books or clothes, people's old things can be super fun to look through. Lots of stores have hidden gems in them.

5. Visit the stores in your town again. When was the last time you actually walked through all those antique shops? You can kill an entire day just wandering up and down Main Street and seeing the inventory.

6. Get craftsy. Have a paint night. Some cheap canvas and watercolor paints from Walmart can turn into really cool, inexpensive art. If you're really broke, forget the canvas and paint straight on your friends.

7. Volunteer. It sounds lame, but animal shelters always need help, and let's be real, working with tiny kittens is never a hastle.

8. Learn something new you've always been interested in. Have you ever wanted to fold oragami or speak French? You've got loads of time and the Internet at your disposal. You can be shown anything.

9. See a local band. How many of us have actually been to the tiny concerts sprinkled throughout our small towns? Try swinging by one of their shows sometime. You may have a good time.

10. Make a list of things you and your friends want to do, and see how many you can follow through on!