7 Fun Facts About The Statue of Liberty

7 Fun Facts About The Statue of Liberty

Most of us know about its origin, but did you know these facts?

6352
Statue of Liberty

It's one of the most adored monuments in the United States of America. Symbolic of so much. Standing tall.

The Statue of Liberty sits on Liberty Island in New York Harbor, and it has inspired generations of immigrants and Americans alike. It was given to the United States as a gift from the French in commemoration of the American Revolution.

But did you know...

1. It Almost Ended Up In Egypt

commons.wikimedia.org

The original concept from French sculptor Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi was for a woman monument that served as a lighthouse in Egypt, in recognition of the French construction of the Suez Canal. When that fell through, he turned to the relationship with the United States. (Source: The Collector)

2. It's Also Known As...

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov

The Statue of Liberty project is also (and originally) known as Liberty Enlightening the World. Or in French: La Liberté éclairant le monde . (Source: National Park Service)

3. The Spiky Hat Is Symbolic

commons.wikimedia.org

The 7 spikes represent the 7 oceans and continents of the world. It speaks to the universality of freedom. (Source: Hotels.com)

4. It Took 21 Years To Build

www.flickr.com

From concept in 1865 to completion in 1886, following the securing of funds, etc., it was a long journey to build. (Source: National Geographic)

5. It's Closer To New Jersey Than New York

www.nps.gov

...and it lies in New Jersey waters, technically. Despite that, the island belongs to New York's 8th Congressional District and New Jersey has never disputed that. (Source: The Collector)

6. The Statue Represents A Roman Goddess

www.flickr.com

More specifically, Libertas, a Roman deity who personified freedom. Fitting. (Source: Google Arts & Culture)

7. It Weighs 560,000 Pounds

www.flickr.com

And that's just the statue and internal framing. The concrete foundation would be another 54 million pounds to make sure the statue is secure and not going anywhere. (Source: National Park Service)