11 Fun Facts About The Statue Of Liberty

Just things to know, as an American.

137
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZFeRsAgK1a/

Everyone knows the Statue of Liberty. The huge and colossal sculpture thrones on Liberty Island in New York Harbour. But what else do you know about this famous lady? Here are eleven fun facts you should know.

1. The designer 

The Statue was designed by sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi. According to some historians he modelled Lady Liberty's face after his mother.

2. France and the USA

It was given to the USA by France in 1886 and was meant to commemorate the friendship between those two countries, which they established during the American Revolution.

3. Measurements 

The Statue is 305 feet and 1 inch from the base of the pedestal to the tip of the flame.

4. Weight

Total weight is 450,000 pounds.

5. Location

The Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island, which is located within in territorial jurisdiction of the state of New York.

6. Material

The Statue is made of copper 3/32 inch thick.

7. The torch

The torch is a symbol of enlightenment. It lights the way to freedom and shows the path to liberty.

8. The crown

There are seven spikes on her crown, which represent the seas and continents of the world.

9. The tablet

In her left hand, the Statue holds a tablet bearing the date of the US' independence: July 4, 1776. It's written in Roman numerals (July IV, MDCCLXXVI).

10. The view

Viewing decks are located on the pedestal and crown. The area inside the torch has been closed to the public since an explosion on July 30, 1916.

11. Visitors

Over 4 million people visit the Statue of Liberty every year.

Now that you know so much about it, it's time to visit!