Why 'Frozen 2' Is Everything I Didn't Know I Needed Right Now

Caution: spoilers ahead!

66
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155416046@N05/34605751714
Flickr

Disney is notorious for sprinkling heartfelt messages throughout their movies, which can be appreciated by anyone of any age. I have noticed that as I got older, my love for Disney increased, due to the nostalgic feeling I get when I watch movies from my childhood to picking up on those underlying lessons and messages in newer movies.

"Frozen 2" is the perfect example of this.

I went with my group of friends to see "Frozen 2" with no knowledge as to what the storyline was going to be. I was really just excited to see some of my favorite characters come alive again on the big screen. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be a major understatement. Just the songs alone were beautiful. From power ballads to a hilarious send-up of '80s rock power ballads, there were a small handful of songs that really spoke to me.

The fourth song in the movie is "When I Am Older" and is sung by everyone's favorite snowman, Olaf. The song has the same comedic tone as "In Summer", which he sings in the first movie. The main message behind the song is that new things can be scary but will make sense later, or when Olaf is older.

This message is very clearly directed at the youngest viewers in the audience, but I think as someone in her young 20s, there are still a lot of things in my life that I don't quite understand. I know that as I get older, things will become clearer. It's also basically the musical embodiment of the "This Is Fine" meme, which is sure to delight older viewers.

The next song is one that honestly had me laughing the whole time. Kristoff finally got his big musical break with "Lost in the Woods", a nod to '80s rock power ballads. The song itself is sweet, but the animation is what really made it for me. To understand my love for this song, you honestly just have to watch it! (Think of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" music video.)

The final song from "Frozen 2" that melted my heart was "The Next Right Thing," which is Anna's big song in the movie. The song is surprisingly dark for a Disney movie, but it holds a very valuable message about being overcome with grief and sadness and how to handle those feelings.

This grief has a gravity, it pulls me down, but a tiny voice whispers in my mind, "You are lost, hope is gone, but you must go on and do the next right thing."

I can easily say that I was an emotional mess by the end of the movie. No matter how old I get, Disney movies and the messages found within the songs will always hold a special spot in my heart. "Frozen 2" was no different.

It was a perfect mix of entertaining and serious, talking openly about the grief Anna and Elsa felt about the loss of their parents in the first movie. They also touch on other life lessons, like how easily miscommunication can happen in relationships, that it's okay to ask for help from others when you need it, and that, eventually, you will find out who you are meant to be.

Related Articles Around the Web