From Color Catchers To Poo Pourri

From Color Catchers To Poo Pourri

20 things to get you through your freshman year.

10
From Color Catchers To Poo Pourri
quoteslike

Freshman year of college, here you come. Whether you are ready for it, or not, it is happening. This won't be an article to give you the talk and prep you for the school part of college. This is going to be an article that prepares you for the other transition you are about to make: moving away from home. Going from your house to a dorm room is one switch that will turn your life around. But there are many ways to make this transition a smooth, easy flow. I have 20 suggestions for you, from supplies to pieces of advice.

1. Poo Pourri

I am not sure if you have heard about this, but it is literally the best thing on this entire planet. It is a spray that comes in all sorts of beautiful scents. You spray it in the toilet before you have to do your business and it smells like flowers (or whatever scent you got). Now you can say that your... well, you know the saying.

A bottle that will last you a semester and save your roommate, suite mate, and your lives only costs about $10. You can find them here or at Bed Bath and Beyond.

2. Robe

In the dorms, there are fire drills that come at random times of the evening. My roommate last year was in the middle of a shower when there was one. So I grabbed my robe for her and she put her hair in a towel and went down the stairs, outside to stand with all the people of our building while the drill continued. She was very happy I had my robe that night.

Or, if you're just feeling lazy, but don't want to be straight up naked in front of your roommate, you don't have to totally get dressed. Just throw a nice, cozy, and warm robe on.

Trust me, they are life savers.

3. Plastic Ice Cubes

When I was taking another stroll through Bed Bath and Beyond, I found these ice cubes that were plastic, filled with water. You used them just like normal ice cubes but they were reusable and fit perfectly into your mini fridge freezer. They are perfect for when you want a nice, cold cup of water, or anything else.

4. Water Bottle

I'm sure you already have a water bottle, but if you don't, you need one. Now with your water bottle, you can take and steal drinks from the cafeteria. I always like to take a nice big thing of unsweetened iced tea. Makes my day every day.

5. Travel Coffee Mug

If you don't drink coffee, you can skip this one. But, if you do, you are going to need it. Trust me, those 8 a.m.s don't get you up out of excitement to go to class. Coffee does. Or, like mentioned in number four, you can take it to the cafeteria and get free coffee.

6. A Soft Blanket

When you are exhausted, nothing beats having a soft blanket around. Believe me, you will get super tired and you'll want that soft blanket. I found my soft blanket at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was around $20 and it was the best money I have spent.

7. A Planner

This is the one piece of school advice I am going to give you. This saved my life. Now, I am not someone who doesn't handle their time well, but college throws a lot at you and the $10 planner can save you from missing an important thing that is coming up in a couple of hours. Check it every morning, at lunch, and before you go to bed. Make sure all of your homework assignments are written down and check them off when you have them finished. It will help you, tremendously.

8. Body Pillow

Sometimes, you just need a good cuddle. What better to get it from than a nice, soft, comfy pillow?

9. Shower Caddy

Whether you are using a community bathroom or a shared bathroom, you're going to need something to keep all your stuff in. My first bathroom in a dorm was a shared one and I had three other people using it. There isn't enough room for everyone to keep their stuff in there.

10. Rug

Dorm rooms are usually not carpeted and it gets a little cold in there. But the floor can also get kind of gross with shoes and everything laying on the practically cement floor. A rug will keep some warmth in the room and keep some dirt off the ground.

11. Mattress Pad

College mattresses are NOT comfortable. If there is only one thing you get off this list, please, do yourself a favor and get this. You can actually get a good night's sleep and (maybe) be ready for that 8 a.m. class.

12. Color Catchers

If you did laundry at home and are used to sorting out your whites and colors, then this also won't apply to you. But if you are like me, and didn't really do a whole lot of laundry, color catchers are going to save your life. They are made by Shout and you can just throw all of your laundry in and one of those too, and boom. Everything is cleaned and not ruined.

For $4.39 at Target, they're all yours!

13. Winter Boots

During those walks through campus when there are large amounts of snow on the ground, you'll be very thankful for those boots. College classes don't get canceled like high school classes. You're walking your happy self at whatever time of the day through the snow to class, so lace up the boots, boys and girls.

14. Pictures

You're going to miss home. Even if you're beyond ready to get out of home, you will miss it. I promise. For me, my dog was what made it hard for me to leave. So I took all of my pictures of my dog and I and put them all around my room. It was like having him there.

15. Decorations

This is a really good way of making the dorm feel like it is yours and you can learn how to call it home. Lights, pictures, canvas home decor, and anything else your little heart desires.

16. Keurig

If you love coffee, you will definitely need one of these. It makes delicious coffee quick and most importantly, whenever you need it. Whether it's for your morning rush or your 2 a.m. jammed study session, it will save your life.

17. 6 or 10 Foot Phone Charger

You never know where the outlets could be from your bed and it'll be nice to have your phone be able to reach.

18. Laptop

You are going to be typing, a lot. And you for sure want to have something that can sit on your lap and finish from the comfort of your dorm room (on your soft blanket and comfy mattress pad).

19. Food

The cafeteria isn't always open and you are going to want food at weird times. Plus, you might not always want what the cafeteria is offering because lets face it: that food isn't always good. Stock your fridge with things like juice, milk, fruit, snacks, and whatever else you would like.

20. Quarters For Laundry

Most laundry at colleges will be coin-operated and you are going to want those coins. I got lucky and my aunt gave me $50 worth of quarters and it lasted me just about the entire year.

Now, with all of that being said, I hope it helps you and hopefully your freshman year comes with ease. Best of luck!

But, lets face it, we all know you'll do great!