From A Heterosexual Woman, This Is Why I Love Pride Month

Best Month Of The Year

7495

It's June, which means it is finally that time of the year. Summer which means goodbye snow and hello sun, and of course PRIDE! That's right, it's the month of love and nothing but. This is one of my favorite months because everything is so carefree and enjoyable that I don't believe in the word 'stresses. There is no need especially when everyone just wants to love love love.

Pride originated 50 years ago representing the celebration of the LGBTQ community. I for one love the idea that especially nowadays; more people are starting to recognize Pride for what it truly is rather than for what it's not. I remember years ago when I was in High School, I went to my first Pride parade and remember thinking how happy everyone was to be there. There was not one angry distressed person in sight. Nothing but a better sight to see. Parades should be all about celebration and freedom. Now although I identify as a heterosexual female, that shouldn't mean anything different. Just because I'm straight doesn't mean that I shouldn't support the love in the LGBTQ community.

I feel that society has taken such a turn on certain things to where being non-hetero should be accepted by everyone. I could never understand why anyone should be rejected just because they are not the same as everyone else. It makes me sick at the fact that there are certain people in society that just truly cannot accept. What makes someone special is their uniqueness. It's how they challenge the average norms, and how it is going to change certain perspectives. What makes someone truly unique is their way of looking at life as a whole. By accepting others on their uniqueness it means that we will start getting ahead as a society. I remember last year I was walking past a young boy and while the parade was going on I remember him saying 'ew, that's disgusting…' I remember thinking in my head 'how could you?!' But then I remember that no one's really born with that type of ignorance. Ignorance simply comes from what others seem to adapt around them. You are what your environment is. When you're taught to hate, you adapt that same hate. When you're taught to love, you adapt that same love.

I'm very glad that I was raised to accept everyone for their sexual orientation. Especially growing up in a West-Indian household, where most of the community is known for being homophobic. Unfortunately, if you're a baby boomer in the West-Indian community there is no fixing your mindset. It's even worse when it's forced upon the younger generation. At some point there is going to be a time where the older generation needs to realize that things are not going to be the same forever. I was surprised within the past couple years to see the outcome for celebrating pride. In area's that I used to assume were automatically homophobic were now throwing down celebrations themselves. I'm proud to support the gay community and all its glory. I will be there for all of my lovely humans no matter what, and this is only just the beginning. I promise to use my voice as a heterosexual woman for good and good only. So happy pride to all and to all a good month!