Why You Should Focus On College Friendships, Not Relationships
relationships

To The Hopeless Romantics In College, Just Focus On You And Your Friends

You do not need to fall in love with someone else in order to fall in love with the life around you.

628
Emma Laughlin

To all the hopeless romantics attending university: There is more to life than love.

When you're heading into your 20s, there is so much more to life than having someone to call your significant other.

I am not saying that relationships in college are bad. I have mentioned countless times that I myself am very much the relationship type. I love romance, and I am always going to be the first to say it.

However, for the past few weeks of being single, I have had the time of my life by surrounding myself with friends.

But although I am the relationship type, and although I desperately hope that I find an unmatched love one day, I am also a realist. I know right now I should not be focusing on relationships like I have been.

I should be focusing on improving myself. I should be focusing on becoming a better me, by myself.

My past relationships have all improved me, but now I have no obligations. I don't have to doll myself up for dates. I don't have to make plans to see my significant other ahead of time. Nothing.

Now, I have all this time to focus on me. I have all this time to spend time with people I haven't been able to focus on nearly as much, like my friends and family.

Do you know how refreshing it is to just sit in your suite with some friends and watch countless hours of "Skin Wars" and "Floribama Shore"?

Do you know how relieving it is to spend time with people who love you unconditionally, with no romantic connection to keep up at all?

The end goal of finding someone to love and to cherish is great. But what real achievement is that?

Everyone wants a happy ending, but there is no depth to that. We all want a fairytale. In college, though, that is rarely the outcome.

So, hopeless romantics, focus on finding a best friend. Focus on finding yourself.

Instead of searching for a romantic partner who makes us feel good about ourselves, spends time with us and brightens our mood, why aren't we spending time with the friends who make us feel the same way?

Why aren't we searching within ourselves for that same love and satisfaction?

Finding love has been great. I am so thankful that all the boys I have been with have shown me love and respect.

Love is incredible.

But we should be able to say the same for staying in with friends and watching reality TV. We should be able to say we get the same euphoric feeling from a family dinner. We should be able to say that love is in the air when we FaceTime our best friend from another school.

There are other things in life that deserve your focus.

You do not need a partner.

You do not need to find your happy ending quite yet.

So, focus on the other important things in life.

Focus on yourself and your health. Focus on your friends and family. Focus on academics and traveling.

Make your life about you, then see if someone comes along.

See if the love is effortless enough to naturally create a space in your life.

There is more to life than finding love.

So, create your own fairytale. Someone, someday, when you're ready, will help create your happily ever after.

For now, it is just important to be living happily.