ex best friend

A Letter To My "Sister"

You always said we were like sisters.

593
Photo by Dario Valenzuela on Unsplash
unsplash

To my "Sister",

You were always more like a sister to me; we met the day I was born. And over the course of our 18-year friendship, we went through everything together. Until you decided you didn't need me anymore. I'm not sure exactly what changed, or if your new friends were just so great you completely forgot about me. Though, I have to admit that it was obvious from the beginning that you didn't value loyalty as much as I do. See, I always looked past that part of you. The part that didn't invite me to your parties in high school, or introduces me to your other friends when we got into college. Come to think of it, you had a boyfriend for a year and I saw you once that winter; after you broke up. There were times I had no one else to turn to but you, and I'm starting to think that's how you wanted it.

It took me a while to figure this out but, that's not how you treat your friends. And when I say that, I direct it towards you because I was, and always have been a generous and gracious friend. I never kept secrets from you or lied, and I was always excited to introduce you to new people or places. You just couldn't do that for me, and to be honest, I don't care why anymore.

We haven't talked in almost a year now, and I thought I would be more torn up about this, but I'm not. I think that says a lot about you. I thought that when I unfollowed you on social media, I would feel sad; but instead, I felt free. Suddenly, this person that was supposed to be my sister no longer made me feel worthless. When I decided to stop talking to you completely, I was able to realize that I don't need your "friendship," if you could even call it that.

Our friendship was a total joke, and you know it just as well as I do. You used me for companionship when the girls you were trying to impress ignored you, or when you broke up with your boyfriend for the second time. I skipped school and drove to your house when you called me crying about it. But where were you when I got broken up with? Where were you when I was going to the gym by myself because you stopped going with me?

You texted me a couple months after we stopped talking. When I got the notification, I sighed with relief, I thought you'd finally come to your senses. But instead, you said, and I quote, "I'm ready to welcome you back with open arms," as if I did something wrong. As if I was the one to disgrace our "friendship." I never replied, because to be honest, I'm not worth your feeble and condescending attempts to regain my friendship. You had a good thing, and you took advantage of someone who cared about you. Now you have to deal with the consequences.