On Being My Best-Friend’s Number One Fan

Embarrassing my best-friend one day at a time.
128

When thinking about it I’d say that I tend to be a very supportive friend to all those whom I hold dear in my heart. But, without a doubt, the sort of dedication and support I offer to my best-friend surpasses any kind of empathy I may have to offer to other friends and acquaintances of mine. I guess you could say I like to play favorites and in this game my best of all friends rules supreme above all else. At times though, my admiration for her many astonishing abilities have only served to embarrass her in front of other people, just as this article probably will as it starts circulating around our small group of friends. But, is it really my fault that I feel compelled to boast about her all the time? She says it is. I say she’s too modest to admit her greatness.

You see, whenever I’m not gloating about her hard-working nature and intelligence to my family, I’m thinking about ways to introduce the topic to them. They could probably write her biography by now. If they don’t, then I will. I most definitely will, because I know she will accomplish great things that will need to be documented.

The funny thing is, though, that she’s also my biggest fan. Of the many ways in which she has supported me, encouraging me to keep writing- no matter how terrible my works turn out to be- has been perhaps one of the most profound ways in which she has affected me. I’ve been able to uncover the hidden workings of my mind through written expression and for leading me to that, I cannot thank her enough. I know for a fact that she detests writing, but in order to encourage me to write more she often times writes tales of her own, which she will only allow me to read in exchange for something I’ve written. She knows I’m far too curious to pass up such an offer.

Oh, the stories we’ve written! Oh, the lives we’ve lived in such stories! Unfortunately, I cannot not reveal too many details involving the plot of such stories, because if I did this article would most likely end up being the last thing I ever wrote. Undoubtedly, she’d skin me alive. In any case, all I can say is that these stories often playout our endless list of fantasies…Perhaps I’ve said too much… (Side note: If you never hear from me again, she probably will have me locked up in her terrifying basement. Send help!).

As I mentioned before, I tend to embarrass her with my adoration- but- when hearing this you may not be sure as to what that means exactly. Well, I can tell you the very true story of the time I volunteered her to help a man, who had passed out on the floor of a restaurant, although she may not have been the most qualified person to help him. She was a nursing student, you see, and once we saw the man collapse onto the floor and witnessed him having an epileptic episode- my eyes automatically darted to hers. I could very well see her shaking her head at me in denial, her eyes pleading me to not verbalize whatever thoughts were boiling in my head at the time. But, I instinctively began shouting that she is a nurse. Luckily, the man’s friend knew how to react under the circumstances and aided his colleague before she needed to step in. Once we returned to our table she scolded me for my impulsiveness. According to her, a first semester nursing student isn’t exactly a “nurse”. Strange, to me she was the equivalent to a certified M.D.

That was not the only time I embellished her credentials, though. Recently, my friends and I- her included, of course- went on a trip to Maine where we planned to go white water rafting. Once we were on the raft I immediately began assuring everyone, including strangers whom we had never before encountered, that if anything were to happen that my best-friend could save them. Why? Because she’s a nurse! Well, this time she had graduated nursing school, so like, I was kind of correct, right? According to her, I was not. “I haven’t taken my board exam yet.” She explained. (Geez, I can never win.)

All in all, I’m pretty sure she appreciates my dedication to embarrass her publicly. She knows I only do it because I love her and because she desperately needs to internalize the fact that she is amazingly talented and incredibly intelligent. She’s perhaps one of the smartest people I have ever met and it saddens me to see her questioning herself, questioning the very same abilities that never seize to amaze me. Due to the fact that she is so skeptical of her own capabilities, I plan to be the person who is always there to remind her of how splendid she is. Never will I allow her to think that she falls short from greatness and maybe this way, she’ll allow me to bask in the glory of her achievements later on, once she has become the Florence Nightingale of our times.

(P.S. Best of luck on your board exam, buns! You can do this! I hope this cheered you up.)