To My Friends Before I Leave For College

I've been so caught up in my next step that I've forgotten what I'm leaving behind.

228
WeKnowMemes

Some goodbyes are harder than others. Leaving high school? That was easy - I couldn't wait. College wouldn't come soon enough during those whirlwind days of school ending, graduation ceremonies, and celebrations. My only thought from the end of May on has been getting out.

Until it hit me.

So many high school seniors get caught up leaving; we want out the second we get our diplomas and many of us will never look back. But a different mindset arises when all the excitement ceases and we get into the swing of summer - the stresses and frustrations that made seniors want out so vehemently have lessened. Once the smoke cleared, it felt like my eyes had opened.

I've been so excited about leaving. For months all I've talked about is college and my next step; I have so many big plans and places to go and things to learn. Through all of my dreaming, I seem to have forgotten not everything about home is worth casting aside. My need to start fresh these past months seems to have overshadowed the best part of my childhood and growing up - the people.

Too often lately I've been listing off reasons to leave. Yet as I spend my nights laughing and enjoying what it is to be in a familiar place with people who have grown with me, I've finally stopped my rush. College will be new adventures and challenges, sure. But how could I overlook all the wonderful friends that have been at my side watching me cheer about leaving them? What kind of friend am I to overlook such a massive part of my life?

It is you all who've made me. You've been there in my dark times (middle school was rough) and stuck around for the highs. You've come to my games and shows and concerts; you've listened to my rants and geeky moments, even on the most trivial topics. I've had the most supportive shoulders to cry on and the brightest lights of life surrounding me. I'll never forget late night drives full of shouting throwback songs and talking about the universe. I'll never stop feeling pride when you all succeed and pain when you hurt - I'll certainly never stop wanting to protect you (though you'll always remind me that I can't always be there).

I know we're all growing up. We're at different stages and going down different paths, but that will never change what we've given one another.

When I come back home, it's not the town I'll comfort and happiness in - it's you.

It will never be the same for us. I won't be sharing the stage with you all anymore or walking the same halls. Inside jokes we use every day are going to become moments we look back on with fondness. We may never again fall into step effortlessly like we do today. I know we may not always be as close as we are now; I want to save each moment we have left while our lives are happy and full of adolescent carefree attitudes (for the most part, at least).

I was so excited to start to reach new heights that I forgot who has raised me up to where I am. For that, I'm sorry. Without you all I wouldn't know what it's like to laugh so hard we make noises that shock even ourselves; I wouldn't know what it's like to feel the heartbreak of another person or to selflessly love; I wouldn't understand the true joys in life come from taking the scenic route home and making plans that always end in unwatched movies and a feeling of happy exhaustion. I would be lost without everything you all gave me.

I may be leaving, but I will never forget what I'm walking away from. I cannot thank you all enough for what you do for me and who you've made me. And for that, I'll come back.