To The Friend Who Inspired Me to Be More

Bri Burley is an inspiration to those around her, a fact made obvious through the daily Facebook statuses she shares.

29
Bri Burley

8:00 A.M. My eyes are red from a lack of sleep and my mind is numb from a lack of caffeine.

Usually, the first thing I do in the morning after crawling out of my cocoon of sheets and blankets, looking rather bedraggled, is head to the coffee pot. But today is a rather dreary day, one of those mornings where it's extra difficult to paste a smile on your face and brush your teeth and eat your breakfast. I'm feeling rather unmotivated, rather gross, rather nostalgic, and rather blasé. So, instead of heading for the caffeine my body cries for, I head to Facebook for a quick pick-me-up, courtesy of a kind, sweet soul whom I am lucky to call my friend. Her name is Bri Burley, and on many mornings she is the one who motivates me to drag myself from my nest. She puts a smile on my face every time she posts a status update. Here's how.

Bri doesn't post normal updates, doesn't post photos of her meals (nothing wrong with that, folks), doesn't complain about her hardships through her social media page - rather, she writes little snippets of advice and little stories of love for her friends to read and smile about. She reminds those that she loves and adores that she loves and adores them, and that they ought to love themselves in the same way. She reminds me to smile and never to take my life and my happiness for granted. Bri Burley is the friend that inspires me to smile at strangers, whistle while I walk, and to never be afraid of my emotions - everything I feel is real, tangible, and worthwhile. Bri Burley is the friend who inspires me to be more and to love more.

Here are a few examples of the sweet statuses this darling friend shares with the world on an almost-daily basis.

"Hey, you. I hope joy finds its way into your weekend over cups of coffee, through late-night conversations, and in ways you don't expect. Opening your heart to the world is such a daring act. I know you've been shut down, taken advantage of, and pressured to become hard, but there is still so much good in the world. Let's go find it together. Happy Friday!"

"Hating Mondays is a social construct that we buy into again and again. Don't wait until Friday to be happy, do something that makes you happy today! I'm so excited for what this week has in store for you."

"Hey you, happy hump day! Tell me how I can make you feel loved and important today. Tell me how I can make the world a better, kinder, and gentler place for you. You are an important part of the fabric that makes up my life and I just can't thank you enough."

"It's such a miracle that every moment in human history has led us here, to this moment, and we have the extraordinary privilege and responsibility to carry one another forward. Don't be afraid to ask for help today if you need it, and don't be afraid to offer help if you feel compelled to do so. Let me know how I can help you carry some of your troubles today. Happy Monday."

Bri has such a way with words, such a talent at making those around her feel special, loved, and adored. I am so thankful to know her and so thankful for her inspirational posts. Bri, you have no idea how many mornings I have made it through thanks to your Facebook updates.

One of the best things I can wish for all of you is that you find someone who makes you feel as wonderful and unique and meaningful as Bri Burley makes me, and makes so many others, feel.

More importantly, if you don't have a friend like Bri, become a friend like Bri. Spend every minute of your day, every hour of your life, reminding those around you that you love and appreciate them. Remind yourself that you are worth loving, that you are a meaningful individual, and that you are beautiful. These are the things Bri has taught me. Thank you, Bri. And Happy Monday.