To My Best Friend 2000 Miles Away

To My Best Friend 2000 Miles Away

Distance really does make the heart grow fonder.

18
To My Best Friend 2000 Miles Away
Google Maps

First of all, I miss you. I miss talking to you every day, and seeing you most days. Your friendship was the highlight of my high school experience. I’m so thankful for you. I was afraid that in our going to schools so far away, we would lose touch and grow farther apart, but I guess distance really does make the heart grow fonder, because here we are as close as ever despite being so far apart. I can’t wait until you’re home for the summer and I can see you again.

Second of all, I’m sorry. I’m sorry because I am so, so bad at communicating. I’m sorry for every long gap between texts and every rescheduled FaceTime. Things get busy around here, but I promise I think about you every day. The times that we do get to talk are some of my favorite times-- I love hearing about sunny California, and your new friends and your classes. I love telling you about what’s going on in my life. I love just getting to talk to the person I feel most comfortable with. I’m sorry we don’t get to talk as often as we’d like, but I just want you to know that I treasure any time we get.

Third of all, I’m so proud of you. I know you’re out there kicking ass in your classes, making new friends and great memories. I’m so proud that you got to achieve your dream of going to school in the sunshine state, and that you’re running track there. I’m proud that you navigated the airport experience from Hell last December with a cool head. I’m proud that you are absolutely thriving. I miss you, of course I miss you, but I’m so proud that you’re out there living your life.

According to Google Maps, your front door is 2,166 miles from mine. That’s 31,768 football fields, thirty-two hours of nonstop driving, 1,732,800 LeBron James laid out head to toe across the continent. It’s $57 million worth of subway five dollar footlongs. Can you imagine that many sub sandwiches?! I can really feel that distance sometimes, especially when I had to say goodbye after Christmas, or every time we have to move a phone call. But I want you to know that I’m sending love to you all that way every day. I miss you, and I love you, and I'll talk to you soon.

Sincerely,

Your long-distance best friend