From The Girl Who Struggled Freshman Year

Some ups and downs you deal with as a freshman.

168
Ashley Duke

Class of 2021, we made it. We finished our first year of college and I know some of us are considering if its worth another three years. There have been many ups and downs this year, but overall college can be a fun and exciting adventure and I can not wait to see what is in store for my next three years.

We all had to adjust to dorm life this year I am sure. I struggled with dorm life my first semester and ended up having to change rooms because my roommate and I had our differences. I also did not and still do not like the lack of privacy. Sometimes a girl just wants to be able to go off on her own and be by herself. I also do not like the constant noises of a dorm. Why are there people running up and down the hall at 3am? Who knows?

I also personally struggled with having a taste of freedom. It was difficult to go from being able to make choices about how I spend my time to going home and being under my parents roof and having to ask to go places. The way I see it, I am free and I should be treated like that at college and at home. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Meal plans. Along with the freedom to go places, you have the freedom to eat whatever you want and they even give you a little card to swipe and get food. Most people are almost out or completely out of meal plan money by the last two weeks of the semester and then it is time for a trip on the struggle bus. You are constantly asking people for free food or to use their swipe. It really gets to be a pain for those of us that don't run out of food money.

Class registration is another thing you aren't used to as a freshmen. In high school someone picks your classes for you and you are automatically placed in them. In college, you get to hope and pray that a class you need isn't full by the time you get to register. Freshmen register for classes last, FYI and it is yet again another struggle bus trip.

There is so much more you experience as a freshmen for the first time but these were some of the most interesting. Just remember class of 2022, now it's your turn to deal with registering for classes last and finding a balance with your freedom and meal money.