The Freshman 15 Is Real and That's OK

The Freshman 15 Is Real and That's OK

It doesn't mean you failed.
68

College is stressful. College is scary. College is a ball of awkward. College is just a constant slap of reality. And you know what? Mac and Cheese will always seem to make it a little better.

High school was so easy compared the college. We had our own room, home cooked meals, childhood friends down the street, and our Mom. Then when we graduate we are thrown into a transition that throws that all off.

We are surrounded by hundreds of new faces, we are responsible for everything around us, we are stressed to the core with projects, and we want to do anything we can to make our resumes look awesome. Sometimes it can be a long day and the only thing there is to eat is your comfort food in our little dorm fridge or the McDonald's down the road.

It seems like whenever we go off to college and gain a few pounds, everyone from high school thinks that means we are unsuccessful. Everyone has assumptions. Just because you gain a few pounds does not mean you are a failure. I honestly believe the cafeteria pumps extra calories into the food for energy to study all night. *wink*

During my time in college, I have realized my life is not about constantly losing weight but maintaining what I have. If I can be healthy, I am already a winner. I walk to class, I mix in vegetables and I have cut down on fried foods.

There is always going to be a few pounds that just sneak in during college. I am learning that I have other things to focus on than having to be a thin swimsuit model on Instagram.

I am learning to love myself and love the people around me. There's no point in stresses myself out to be a certain way, because most of the time I will stress myself to eat more unhealthy but happy food.

A change in diet is always going to affect you. College diet may consist of day old pizza and Gatorade. Why is that such a bad thing? It sounds like the meal of champions to me.

So you eat things that make you happy, you deserve it! Winter is coming, we need a few layers to keep us warm anyway! As long as you are walking to class not driving up to the door, and mixing in some fruits and veggies, I think you will survive.