Checklist of events and realizations that I personally experienced as a freshman in college

Freshman Year 101: It's Awkward

The struggle is real.

The awkward moments and the moments that I was not prepared for at all. We're getting down to the nitty-gritty.

662
Freshman year pic
Rachel Fichtman

The jump from high school to a college or a university is a bit more than any hop, skip, or step. I remember graduating from high school ready for a fresh start, a clean slate, and more importantly, the opportunity to become a more independent individual. But on my first night in my dorm room, I realized that I had jumped far into the deep end of the pool for the first time without my floaties and without a lifeguard. Now, this list isn't going to be of the super obvious things that students should know going into college (ex. go to class, keep your schedule organized). Instead, this list is going to contain tips that might spare you a couple awkward moments and help you prepare for what's ahead!

1. You don't need to ask your professor to use the restroom 

I remember during my first week of classes I was sitting in my English 101 class. The professor gave a lecture and I had to pee so badly. It was bad - I felt those 3 cups of coffee I had drank in the morning. So, I raised my hand in the middle of her lecture and asked if I could be excused to use the restroom. I felt the awkwardness immediately after I asked my question. The teacher then responded a second later with "Go ahead, and next time you don't have to ask - just go." The entire class watched me as I rose from my seat and exited the classroom.

Looking back at it now, I don't feel as embarrassed but at that moment my cheeks had gone from caramel tan to little mermaid hair red. It still feels a bit weird to just get up during a class and leave to go to the bathroom. If I'm doing group work or something I'll tell my classmates but that's about it. So don't ask - just go.

2. You're going to have a class where you don't know anyone. Yes, it's gonna be awkward to find a seat

This is especially true with big lecture hall classes. During the second semester of my freshman year, I took a class called Universal Foundations 100. And it was in this huge lecture hall that could seat about 250 students. When I walked into the class, I could see that almost every single seat had been filled. I awkwardly walked my way down the aisle looking left and right to see if there was a seat that wasn't right next to someone and was convenient for me to get to - that seat didn't exist. I had to awkwardly make my way to the center of the center row of seats saying excuse me to every person I was passing and sit next to two complete strangers.

My advice to you - get to your classes 15 minutes early if you can to avoid this little musical chair game.

3. You're gonna get lost 

Get ready to get your steps in because at first glance every building looks the same. You'll be walking to class and think you know the way and then soon enough you find out that you've walked in a giant circle and/or took the longest route possible. We've all been there - having that confused look on you're face while making a 360-degree turn looking around wondering if you're walking in the right direction. If anyone knows that feeling, it's me.

I brought my car to college, but the parking garage that I used was basically on the opposite side of campus from my dorm. I remember the first time I had to walk back from the garage to my dorm. I had walked it several times already during the daylight with friends or my mom - but never alone, and never at night. Everything looked so different at night (go figure), and a 10-minute walk turned into a 20-minute walk real quickly. When I finally got back to my dorm, I had figured out that I had walked along the perimeter of the University rather than cutting through the middle.

My advice to you on this one - give yourself PLENTY of time to get to and from classes to assure you aren't late for anything and try your best to not look like a lost puppy when walking around because I'm assuming that's exactly what I looked like my first couple weeks of school.

4. Yes, the freshman 15 is a real thing

It doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen to a lot of people (including myself). Most freshmen who move away from home don't have a kitchen so there's a lot of quick microwave meals, trips to Taco Bell, (Crunchwrap Supremes are the love of my life), late night snacking with your roommates, and the on-campus food options are either really gross or not really healthy.

I am definitely a victim of the freshman 15. I slowly felt my jeans get tighter and tighter as my freshman winter season went on. How did I manage - I wore a lot of black yoga pants. I mean they're stretchy and black is slimming! But on the bright side, once your eating habits go back to normal, the weight comes right off. One of the good things that come out of your sophomore year lol.

5. You're not gonna talk to 90% of people that you were friends with in high school 

It's sad - but its true. Most of the people you were friends with in High School you were only friends with because you saw them every day. But keeping up a friendship with them while they go to a school in a different state might be a struggle. Now don't get me wrong, I still have a couple friends that I keep in touch with that go to a different school than me. In fact, one of my best friends goes to school in Utah. But it's going to be with a select few of your friends from high school.

I was that person that tried to keep in touch with as many people as I could. However, I soon realized that most of my conversations with them turned into annoying small talk where I made the most effort to keep in touch. And soon enough those friendships died - but that's ok! There were no hard feelings and you learn that people grow apart and that's just a part of life.

But lemme tell you something. Some of the friends you make in college are gonna be the people that stick with you for a long time. Looking at the people who I've become friends with in college, I see people that I want to be in my bridal party when I get married, I see people who I plan on paying a plane ticket for just to see when we move away, and I see people who have made a huge impact on my life.

6. All your friends are gonna get into relationships and you're gonna feel like the ugly duckling 

I guess I must've missed the relationship train because every time I checked my social media, someone else I knew was in a relationship. Relationships kept popping up like daisies in the spring. Everyone was finding someone, everyone but me. I was the queen of third wheeling and not having a date and spending my Saturday nights in my common room playing mariokart and easting goldfish (freshmen 15 I'm telling you).

I felt like the ugly duckling at times. Why was everyone else finding someone special and I was still resorting to crushing on the cute guy in my acting class? But I then soon realized that finding a significant other is not what I came to college for. It's meant to happen when it's supposed to happen.

Tip: If you're gonna be the third wheel - bring snacks.

7. You're gonna see major life moments happen to your friends and it's gonna weird you out

I experienced this first hand during my freshman year. I saw people get engaged, I saw people get arrested, I saw people have their first child, and I saw people get married; and to be completely honest, this weirded me out a lot. Not only did it freak me out that people my age were going through major life moments, it made me feel like I was getting behind in life.

But I wasn't behind in life. I was starting my college experience and working to earn my degree. Everyone's life moves at a different pace and it just so happened that while I was going to school one of my best friends from high school was planning her wedding - and that's totally fine. That's life. I was realizing that I was no longer a teenager. I was an adult and so were all my peers and we were all making adult decisions.

So my advice would be to be prepared for anything and don't be surprised to see these similar things happen to your peers.

8. The college experience goes far beyond the classroom

Yes, you're going to college to further your education and get your degree. I'm not saying that's not important. But I will say this, the biggest life lessons that I've learned were outside of class.

In my freshman year alone (I'm on my third year currently), I met people that I am so blessed to have had walk into my life. There were so many nights that I would spend laughing until I cry. My floormates and I would play 'what are the odds' until 4 am one night and spend the next night playing super smash bros until our eyes were crossed from staring at the TV for so long. I learned what it was like to be a part of a community; that will forever be by far the greatest accomplishment that I will ever have in college. I allowed myself to push my boundaries and be vulnerable and open to a community of people.

So if there's one thing that I urge every college student, freshman or not, to do, it would be to become a part of some sort community whether it's a club or greek life or whatever. Find your niche.

9. Don't be passive aggressive  

Living in the dorms for two years, one as a resident and one as a resident assistant, you experience a lot of passive-aggressive behavior. Just don't do it. It's petty and immature.

Learning how to confront someone about an issue you have in a mature and civil manner will be one of the most important skills you will have for the rest of your life. So before you put that sticky note on your roommate's door to avoid in-person confrontation, try talking to the person first.

No one likes having a passive-aggressive friend.

10. You're gonna experience failure 

Failure is a part of life. But college was the first time I ever felt the wrath of failure - so be prepared.

The first time that I had truly experienced failure was during my second semester my freshman year. I got a D in one of my classes and I was completely crushed. I had never gotten a grade that low before. I felt like I had failed my parents, my professor, and myself. At the university that I attend, you are unable to advance to the higher level course if you get a D or below in the beginning course. I knew that I would one day have to re-take that class. I was mortified, I didn't tell anyone because I was so embarrassed and disappointed in myself.

I look back at that experience as one that really shaped me. I'm glad I got to feel what failure feels like, and trust me I've failed at many other tasks since then and yes it still doesn't feel great to fail at something. But honestly, you only truly fail if you don't learn something from your failure.

11. Enjoy the ride 

College will contain some of the best and some of the worst times in your life. But you get out what you put into it. Be happy and take care of yourself.