Freshman Year At Montclair State University Vs. Senior Year
Freshman

8 Weird Things Montclair State Freshmen Do That Seniors Forget About

When you get to our age, you forget about all of these concerns!

169

Every senior this semester is probably with their friends, mocking the freshmen class. I admit that I am no better, but seniors, do not forget that we were once the freshman. We all would walk around in our new college shirts with our lanyard, thinking our roommate was going to be our new best friend. This article is not so much to mock the "fresh meat," but to remember the silly things we used to do as freshmen.

And if you are a freshman, you will survive college and one day become a senior making jokes about the freshman as well!

Constantly travel in groups of five or more!

Whenever I see a group of freshman, I automatically remember this gif. Freshman will often find a group of five to eight other freshmen and constantly travel together in a pack. Often, freshmen are scared to go to the dining hall or student center alone. Most upperclassmen realize that their true friends are only two to three people and are fine with eating alone. At Montclair State University, the worse is when they all walk in a horizontal line and block the narrow hallways because they walk slowly too. I called them blood clots! Freshmen, it's okay to be alone. No one will think you are a loser.

Treat professors like Gods!

As a transfer student, I have to take a few core classes even though I am a senior. I always can pick out the freshman because they treat the professor like that are a God or the queen of England. I 100% believe that you should respect the professor, but they are not scary! I treat some of my professors in a friend-like matter! I also find it funny how some of the incoming freshmen ask me if they need to ask to use the bathroom. Professors are chill! I had one email me the final because I could not make it to the final date. As long as you are nice, they will work with you!

Buy college themed items at the bookstore!

Freshman, you can order your textbooks online! You are wasting money at the bookstore. Montclair State University is very lucky to have such unique MSU themed items. I have a lot of MSU gear myself because of how much I bought my first year at MSU! It's always so funny to see the excited freshman checking out MSU pillows and water bottles. The only annoying part about this is how the lines in the bookstore become hours long. Seniors are waiting half an hour to buy important specialized textbooks all because a freshman wants an MSU themed pen.

Stare in confusion at new things!

I remember being new to MSU and being very clueless! I would stare at signs, the strange statues, buildings, food at the buffets, or posters. All the freshmen do the same things as well. Rather it's trying to figure out how to print in the library or wanting to know if the "Rath" is short for "Rathskeller (it is!). MSU even offer info table for freshmen to ask any questions at. During the first week of school, I often get asked by freshman were buildings are. I will always give my best answers, but as a senior, I can't help but laugh a little. Each year, the questions are stranger and stranger.

Get ready to go out to Frat/Sport parties!

Frat parties are overrated. There, I said it! All these freshman girls will dress up in fancy heels, tight dresses, and lots of makeup. Senior girls wear sweats and flip flops! Nothing is wrong with how a girl dresses, but the stereotypes about freshman girls vs senior girls are very true! The freshmen also will always go for the free jungle juice. Never go for the free jungle juice, ever! By the time you are an old grandma like me, a fun Friday night is eating in your PJ's while watching Netflix. Since freshman go out, take pics, and dance all night is exhausting just to watch.

View Greek people as "superior"!

Montclair State University is very big on Greek life. So big, that we have 44 Greeks for second-semester freshmen to join. I am even a brother of Alpha Phi Omega! When freshmen enter college, a lot of them are highly interested in joining Greek life. Some of them believe that they have to go incredibly out of their way to impress the Greeks in order to get a "bid". Freshmen, please be calm! I have seen a few freshmen act super nervous and think that they will be hazed. We understand the fear but you are safe! Just be yourself and you will find your perfect Greek!

Try to befriend everyone they meet!

Since most freshmen do not know anyone at college, they will try to meet as many people as possible. Along with that is trying to make friends. On the freshman class page, so many of them will write bios about themselves in order to find new friends. Or they attend so many MSU events to meet other people. During my freshman year, I added so many random people on Snapchat and Instagram in the hopes of making friends. Now, I have my small group of friends that I only talk to.

Just.. anything with a lanyard...

That is the ultimate sign of being a freshman, lanyards! Please, take them off. That is all!