9 Thoughts During College Orientation

9 Thoughts You Have During Your College Freshman Orientation

Thoughts and feelings that you have during the crazy time that is freshman orientation.

78
Personal photo

Your freshman orientation is an overwhelming few days. Staying in dorms, meeting new people, registering for classes-there's a lot going on. Here are some thoughts that you probably had or will have during your freshman orientation (and a few tips thrown in for those of you who haven't had yours yet.)

1. Yikes, this is nerve wracking.

When you first arrive at orientation, it can be very overwhelming. There are lots of people, none of which you have ever met, and there are lots of things going on. It can make you feel pretty nervous. (But I promise it will get better from here.)

2. How does everyone have so many friends already?!?

Many groups seem to form immediately. A few people somehow already know each other, and other just become friends instantly. Despite what you may see, this is not the norm, and most people struggle to make friends at orientation until the very end of the session. Just be friendly to everyone, and it will all be fine. Besides, you will make plenty of new friends once school actually starts.

3. I’m free from my parents!!!

As you leave your parents behind for orientation and are left to your own devices for those few days, you realize how much freedom you will truly have in college. You realize how much you will be able to do without your parents knowing, and this new taste of freedom makes you particularly excited for your first semester.

4. OMG College is going to be SO FUN.

Participating in all the activities, hanging out with new friends, and spending time away from your parents allow you to see all the fun aspects of your college experience, and get you pretty excited for this next chapter of your life.

5. OMG College is going to be SO STRESSFUL.

While you are immersed in the fun aspects of college life, you are also confronted by the very stressful, more serious aspects of the college experience. Graduation requirements, time management discussions, and class registration are all super stressful things.

6. TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!

There is so much information given to you at orientation. WIth presentations on residential life, class registration, graduation requirements, academic advising, and so much more, your head will likely be in extreme pain from all the information that you absorbed during orientation.

7. THERE’S SO MUCH I WANT TO DO!!

With so many presentations on the various clubs and organizations you can be involved with on campus, you will probably feel overwhelmed and want to be a part of everything that is being talked about. Try to keep your head from buzzing and focus on what you need to do before move-in, and look into the organizations again when you get back to campus in the fall.

8. If I see one more PowerPoint…

The amount of Powerpoints that you will view during orientation is absolutely insane. You will probably never want to see another Powerpoint again in your life after your orientation session.

9. I think this year’s going to be pretty good!

All in all, orientation will make you get even more excited for your first semester of college, and will help you move past some of the nerves of the new year. To anyone who has yet to attend their freshman orientation, breathe, and enjoy the time that you get to spend at your new home for the next 4 years.