20 Things I Learned My Freshman Year of College

20 Things I Learned My Freshman Year Of College

I didn't expect college to be this much different than high school.

997

.

1. Always carry your ID

You might need it to get in a building, use it for a test, or to buy something. You never know when you'll need it.

2. Take your classes seriously

College really isn't like high school. You have to go to class and study hard.

3. There is someone to help you

There are all kinds of helpful people in a college campus. Whether you need help with homework, options on education, or even therapy, there is someone to help you.

4. There are tutors for everything

If you are struggling in any class, there is someone who can help you learn the material. You could go to the tutoring center or email your professor or their TAs

5. Talk to your professor

It's important to talk with your professor, especially if you are struggling in their class. They will offer you the exact help you need. They are there to teach you.

6. Don't over work yourself

If you are working through college to pay for college, do not over work yourself. Make sure you have enough time to study and get help if you need it.

7. The library has textbooks

If you cannot afford textbooks, check the library. You can check them out for free.

8. Keep your syllabus

The syllabus is your best friend. It contains everything you need to know about your class including due dates, requirements, and regulations. Reading this can help you prepare and stay ahead.

9. Do not wait until the last minute to do assignments

Seriously, college assignments can take a long time. Especially papers. Try to get them done at least a day before they are due.

10. Use 'rate my professor'

Rate My Professor is a website where previous students have reviewed their professors. This is really helpful in choosing a professor that fits your liking.

11. There is a lot of free stuff

You can get a lot of free stuff on campus. You can get tons of shirts, stickers, sunglasses, food, and things alike from organizations and events around campus.

12. Prioritize

A college student likely has a lot of free time. Prioritize what you want to get done when you aren't doing much.

13. Get involved

Get involved in organizations. You can make new friends and try things that you find interesting.

14. Lots of places offer student discounts

There are so many places that offer a student discount, you just have to ask.

15. Make friends within your major

Students in the same major make the best study groups.

16. Do extra credit

Even if you don't need it, do the extra credit. It only helps.

17. Learn how to manage your stress

College can be really stressful. It's important to learn how to manage stress or manage the things causing you stress so you can relax. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

18. Start networking

Get to know people and meet people in the job field you are interested in.

19. Don't schedule class times that you won't make

Seriously do not take the 7:30 am class. You could do it in high school but college is a different story.

20. Do not wait until the last minute to enroll

Finding a class at a time that fits your liking can be difficult, especially if you missed the enrollment date. Make sure you know when you can register for classes and do it then!