7 French Music Artists Every French Student Should Add To Their Playlists

Incorporating French into your everyday life is so easy with French music!

68
YouTube | KendjiGiracVEVO

If you're a driven student learning French, you're probably looking for different ways to incorporate French language and culture into your everyday life. Next time you're looking for French music, try these 7 artists to spice up your playlists!

1. Stromae

Stromae is a Belgian artist who sings and raps in French. His music is mainly pop, house and electronic, and he has several albums that have simple lyrics and catchy beats. Some of his most popular songs are "Papaoutai," " Alors On Danse," and "Formidable." Stromae is great for beginners because he uses simple tenses and vocabulary that can be picked up after a couple of French classes.

2. BB Brunes

BB Brunes is a four-man French rock band. One of their less popular songs, "Aficionado" has more of a pop style to it, whereas most of their other songs have a similar sound to Amy Winehouse and The Strokes. As a more advanced French student, BB Brunes' songs will help you pick up new vocabulary and slang. If you're looking for an alternative, pop-rock style of French music, BB Brunes is perfect for you!

3. Zaz

Do you prefer acoustic or jazz style music? Zaz's music is definitely up your alley! Her song lyrics are meaningful and most are simple to understand, especially for more basic French learners. Her songs usually have a greater meaning, which higher novice students can understand. Try "Je veux" or "Les Passants" the next time you're in a chill mood.

4. Maître Gims

If you've been looking for French rap, look no further than Maître Gims. "Caméléon" and "Sapés comme jamais" are two of his popular songs. Personally, I prefer "Meurtre par strangulation" because of the awesome beat. French rap is definitely harder to understand than pop because of the faster tempo and use of slang, but more advanced French students should be able to catch on.

5. Kendji Girac

This French-Catalan singer was the winner of France's The Voice on MIKA's team. His music style is more folksy and pop. "Andalouse" is one of his catchiest, most popular songs, but definitely check out "Color Gitano" and "Conmigo." Kendji Girac is perfect for new French students because the lyrics are easy to decode.

6. Vianney

If you listen to more folksy, acoustic music such as by Vance Joy and The Lumineers, Vianney is the perfect French alternative for your playlists. His music is soft and mellow, which is great for a rainy day. Some of his most famous songs are "Je te déteste," "Pas là," and "Je m'en vais." Add Vianney to your playlists if you're a more advanced learner looking for new expressions to incorporate into your repetoire.

7. MIKA

Last but not least, we have MIKA, a singer-songwriter that is also a judge on France's The Voice. His music is very upbeat and perfect for a stress-relieving dance sesh, sporting "Elle me dit" and "Grace Kelly." If you're an absolute beginner, start with MIKA's songs! They're simple and repetitive, which helps with vocabulary and comprehension.