totally awesome independence day playlist
Education

Not Another Amazing Fourth of July Playlist

It smells like freedom. And sunscreen.

153

Yup, it's that time of the year again. Independence Day is right around the corner, and patriots far and wide are gearing up to get their 'Murica on. It's a time to celebrate your hard-earned freedom through delicious barbecues, jet-ski shenanigans, and jaw-dropping firework displays. And what'll tie the whole day together? One positively spectacular Fourth of July playlist, curated by yours truly.

Whether you're looking for campfire classics everyone can sing along to, or more obscure hits to shake things up, here are 23 songs to bring a tear of freedom to your eye and make you say, "I'm proud to be an American!"

Let's start things off right — "The Star-Spangled Banner," Francis Scott Key

Nope, I'm not joking. This is America Day after all. So stand up, take your dusty ballcap off, and show some respect. And sing along, goddammit. I know you know the words.

To really kick things off — "Sweet Home Alabama," Lynyrd Skynyrd

Just took the boat's aux from your overly patriotic uncle who reeks of Bud? Here's the song to cue up first. Young, old, man, woman, liberal, conservative — it doesn't matter. "Sweet Home Alabama" crosses all demographic lines and will give your Independence Day party the utmost confidence in your playlist.

For the country fans — "American Kids," Kenny Chesney

I'm not a massive country music lover, but talk about an absolute small town anthem. Here's a song that every rural Midwesterner probably knows by heart, and I guarantee this tune will have friends and family singing along and getting into swing.

Credit: amazon.com

Great for a day at the beach — "Surfin' U.S.A," The Beach Boys

Planning on "hangin' ten" on your Independence Day? That's gnarly, brah! (Did I do the surfer talk right?) Even if you're stuck in a landlocked state like me, "Surfin' U.S.A." can liven up any lake day or backyard barbecue.

A patriotic pop hit — "Kids In America," Kim Wilde

This 1980s radio hit has survived the test of time and can prove to be a great way to get a break from more country and classic rock Independence Day jams, "New York to east California!"

Obviously, this song would make the playlist — "Born in the U.S.A.," Bruce Springsteen

Okay, I know what you might be thinking: "Isn't this song actually an anti-American indictment of the Vietnam War and our treatment of veterans?" Yeah, maybe . . . but that's not the point. It's got "U.S.A." in the title, so it's a Fourth of July song.

Credit: discogs.com

Another solid country hit — "Beers Ago," Toby Keith

Maybe not the most explicitly American tune, but it'll seem right at home with the likes of "American Pie" or "Chicken Fried" (but more on those later . . .)

Funk can be patriotic, too — "We're An American Band," Grand Funk Railroad

Mix things up some more with this funk-inspired hard rock track from Grand Funk. It's a fun tune, I promise.

Great for the drive to/from the lake — "Rockin' In the Free World," Neil Young

Another "patriotic" song with some surprisingly anti-patriotic lyrics, this classic rock hit is a great way to get people nodding their heads as you cruise down a dirt road, finishing up a great day at the lake.

Another great road trip song — "America," Simon & Garfunkel

You can practically see the sun setting over the freeways as you listen to this soft, folksy tune from the iconic duo. And it's literally called "America." What more do you want from a Fourth of July Playlist?

An absolute lakeside anthem — "All Summer Long," Kid Rock

Tired of "Singin' 'Sweet Home Alabama' all summer long?" Kid Rock sure isn't! This country/rock staple is guaranteed to get feet tapping and drunk people singing as you cruise across the lake and think to yourself, "Man, I sure found a great playlist for today."

More classic Springsteen — "Dancing in the Dark," Bruce Springsteen

I easily could've thrown four or five Springsteen classics on this list and called it a day, but I had to include "Dancing in the Dark" because it perfectly encapsulates that hard-working, blue-collar American vibe that we're all so proud of.

Possibly the most American song ever — "Chicken Fried," Zac Brown Band

This entirely endearing country classic pays homage to the most American things around: fried chicken, cold beer, and blue jeans; just to name a few. Packed to the brim with down-home wisdom and a heartfelt salute to the Red, White, and Blue, this country jam is a Fourth of July must-have.

Credit: beyondlyricsblog.wordpress.com

That song I didn't actually know the name of — "Independence Day," Martina McBride

So this one actually took a Google search or two for me to find, but man, what a classic! Obviously, this tune makes the list.

For that Small Town U.S.A. vibe — "Small Town," John Mellencamp

Here's another hit that every small-town kid is guaranteed to know by heart, and as I hail from the tiny town of Thompson, ND, you can bet this'll be heard on my Fourth of July.

Toby Keith does it again — "Made In America," Toby Keith

Another song I love but didn't know by name, you can't help but feel a little proud of your country while listening to Keith's "Made In America."

For the movie lovers — "Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)," Bill Conti

Okay, this may be a really outside-the-box pick, but c'mon, what's more American than "Rocky?" You'll feel like sprinting up those Philly stairs and pumping your fist as you hear those trumpets on Independence Day.

Just a super-badass rock hit — "Fortunate Son," Creedence Clearwater Revival

This swamp-rock oldie from CCR is an iconic American tune, even if some of the lyrical messages might not be the most patriotic. But hey, it was used in the movie, "Live Free or Die Hard," which takes place on Independence Day. Have you seen that movie? It's alright, I guess. It's kinda a turning point for the Die Hard franchise. But that's an article for another day.

The campfire classic — "American Pie," Don McLean

Here's a great tune to get everyone singing along. Don McLean's eight-minute tribute to "The Day The Music Died" and the nostalgic Rock & Roll era of the 50's is the perfect song to put on as you sit around a bonfire, roasting marshmallows (or hotdogs, if you're one of those people). While most people probably don't know all the verses, I promise that the crowd will get a little rowdy hollering "Drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry" in beautiful, tone-deaf unison.

Credit: amazon.com

A slow country tune to bring things back down — "Springsteen," Eric Church

Again — not strictly a Fourth of July tune, but this nostalgic homage to love gone by and one legendary rocker is a great way to bring the mood back down after the drunken chorus of "American Pie."

Let the fireworks fly — "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue," Toby Keith

You really gotta hand it to ol' Toby. There's no other musician I can think of whose music more embodies that defiant American attitude. This song, part 9/11 tribute and part patriotic anthem, will certainly bring goosebumps when played to the backdrop of your presumably awesome fireworks display. Just be safe, please?

*Sidenote: I just listened to that last song five times in a row while writing this. It's truly incredible.

Credit: musicchartsmagazine.com

The Grand Finale — "God Bless The U.S.A," Lee Greenwood

This is it. This is the big finale — the song you want to play at the end of the night, when you're letting your last (and most impressive) box of fireworks off the chain. So it's time to "proudly stand up," because "There ain't no doubt, we love this land." God bless the U.S.A!

BONUS: For the drive home — "Take Me Home, Country Roads," John Denver

I had to throw it on the list, because why not? After everything is all said and done, let the twangy crooning of John Denver's classic take you home.

And there you are! A thoroughly patriotic playlist to provide the soundtrack for an Independence Day like no other. So have a Happy Fourth, and comment with your thoughts on Live Free or Die Hard!