Four Reasons You Should Keep A Journal

Four Reasons You Should Keep A Journal

Keep a journal to document your life and laugh years on down the line.

3
Four Reasons You Should Keep A Journal
Bro Workshop

I have slowly been rummaging through boxes in my room that were left for me to unpack once I made it back from my journey abroad. I think everyone should keep a journal because it’s a really great art-form and shouldn’t be overlooked. When I grow old, I will treasure the notebooks that I wrote so many words in. Even now, I treasure looking back on notebooks filled with teenage angst. Even though it’s sometimes embarrassing to look back on these journals, I still think it’s fun, and I encourage everyone to keep a journal for a year.

Here’s why:

It documents the passing of time.

There’s nothing I love more than recognizing how much time has really gone by. My first moleskin entry was on January 15th, 2011. This was around the time I began going back to church and around the time I was waiting on college acceptances. At the time, I was in a short play where I had landed the lead. The passing of time from that date and now is almost six years. In the midst of all that time, I have graduated high school, gone to college, transferred schools, graduated from college, and traveled the world. The Ashley that looks back on entry number one and plenty of entries after that is NOT the same person that’s writing this article; only passing time, the documentation of that time, and Jesus’ work in me has made that change evident in my own heart and mind. If you’re looking for a way to document your own changes over a period of time, a journal is an amazing and personalized way to do that.

It helps you recognize how much you have grown up

Things I was going through at the age of 18 and 19 are starkly different compared to what I am personally going through now. Back when I began journaling, I was trying to piece together a future I didn’t even know about, I was making plans and putting hope in a lot of worldly things. Things I wrote about would barely even scratch the surface to root issues going on inside my heart. When I write in my journals now, I am more aware of opportunities placed in front of me, and I take it one step at a time instead of trying to plan and figure it all out at once. The way I process things is more intentional, going deeper than just the surface level issue. Looking back on journal entries helped me fully comprehend how much I have grown since my walk of faith truly began, and present-me is so glad past-me went as far as documenting all she did, because it only makes me treasure how far Jesus has brought me since those early days of journaling.

It gives you a place to vent thoughts that are private and not meant to go on an online platform.

Lets face it; there are some things that are just not meant to go online. I learned this the hard way in college. Over the course of time, I have learned what to keep to myself and what to share on a social media platform. Social Media is meant to document the good things happening in our lives, while the harder things like politics, school, being slammed with homework, etc.. are probably better suited for a journal, friend, or family member. The things we struggle with are good to share, yes… But those things are meant to be shared the hard way — vulnerably and in person. There is a time and a place to share struggles online, and that time and place is for when you have either come to a peace about your situation and are working to overcome it actively — or not at all. Journaling is no substitute, however, for getting help when you need it and talking to a friend or professional who can give rational advice in times of confusion or doubt.

It helps you to laugh at yourself

All that to say, if you find yourself in a healthy place where you can look back on your old thoughts and blunders of the past, you can sit down with some popcorn and have a good laugh at yourself. It’s amazing to watch and read how the progression of time has completely changed me and how the focus of my writing and thoughts is now garnered toward a powerful Source that I may never get tired of writing about or sharing with others. I’m looking forward to the day where I can look back on my notebooks from my time abroad and laugh… Because knowing what I do now compared to six years ago when I started documenting my life has placed everything into an entirely new perspective that goes beyond utter gratitude.

Not only is a journal a safe place to write, word-vomit thoughts out everywhere, and go ham on art… It’s a wonderful keepsake that you will have with you for the rest of your life and one day, despite all the laughs and embarrassment it may induce… You will ultimately look back and treasure the way the Lord had His hand all over your life and was protecting you and your precious, beautiful, and unique heart.

Keep a journal, it’s worth it.