Fortifying the coming generation

Fortifying the coming generation

Fortifying

23
Fortifying the coming generation

Children are not dumb creatures; rather they are full of potentials that if positively tapped, can lead the nation to greatness.

This is what motivated 9ja News to found the children’s club, Kids Know Better (KKB).

Founded in April 2004, Akinlade recruited a number of schools including Meadow Hall, America International school and Greensprings Lekki among others, into the club. From inception, KKB serves as an elective to students in these schools, seeking to awaken potentials such as acting, singing and other talents in enrolled members. The club’s front-running weekly television programme, The KKB Show, aims at promoting talents in kids and providing a platform for kids to express themselves and learn positive values.

“KKB plays the role of creating platforms for children and letting them be actively involved in the process. We believe the show is the bridge for qualitative entertainment and post classroom education for the Nigerian child. The children of today are the future of tomorrow and are not only to be seen, but also heard,” Akinlade highlights the objectives of the show.

Building career paths

The show is spiced with different segments which include the Visits, Young Talent, Frank Talk and Character Building. Visits is a major segment on the show which takes kids on an educative tour of an organization or occupation, after which the kids role-play on what they’ve seen. Akinlade revealed that the Visits segment “is to help the kids get involved in the different careers and see what it takes to achieve the feat. The pupils also learn different aspects of many professions and tools of the trade.”

Another segment that causes parents to eagerly enroll their kids in KKB club is the Young Talent segment, Akinlade said.

“Children with talents ranging from sports, music, arts and crafts are interviewed on how they discovered their talents and how they are able to overcome challenges as they come. The segment is to motivate children who are yet to discover their talents and also encourage the ones that have discovered theirs,” Akinlade explained.

Bracing kids for reality bites

The Frank Talk segment introduces these kids to real life issues. “During this segment, important social issues are discussed by children to find out what their views are. This is to enable parents and guardians to look at the world from a child’s perspective and discover better ways in dealing with them,” he explained.

“There is a limit to how far children should be shielded from real life issues, they must be taught to face the challenges that life present,” he continued.

On the Character Building segment, Akinlade said it will help create well behaved kids.

“During the Character Building segment, different morals including obedience, citizenship, and respect are acted out in drama form. Through this, they are able to know the consequences of every action they carry out,” he said of the equally entertaining and educative segment.

The KKB Show which now runs in 15 schools is held as an after school elective every Saturday at Terra Kulture, Tiamaiyu Savage Street. Members of the KKB Club have also had opportunities to model in various brand advertisements including for telecommunication giant, MTN; the blackcurrant drink, Ribena; the chocolatey beverage, Milo; and the KKB club members for Barney in Nigeria amongst many others.