Formal As Told By 'Parks & Rec'

Formal As Told By 'Parks & Rec'

~Formal season, best season~

13
Formal As Told By 'Parks & Rec'

If you're in college and in a sorority or fraternity, then you're probably aware that as the semester starts to wrap up, ~formal season~ is just beginning. Arguably the most important event in a Greek organization, formal is full of its ups and downs before you even go to the event. As an Indiana native with a soft spot for the show Parks and Recreation, I feel like Parks and Rec accurately describes what the process of formal is like for all of us currently trying to navigate through that special time that is ~formal season~.

1. Finding a date

Unless you're in a relationship, finding a date for any function is always a #struggle. Especially because it's formal, there's a lot of pressure to find a "good" date that you'll have fun with! And it's definitely an added risk to be set up with someone random. May the odds be ever in your favor.

2. Getting the perfect dress

I'm not exactly sure which is harder to find: a date or a dress. True dedication is looking through pages and pages of dresses online, hoping that there's one that will magically be in stock, in your size, the right color, and a reasonable price.

3. Primping

Date - check. Dress - check. Nails?? Tan?? New shoes?? Treat yo. self. Formal is basically college prom, so you might as well splurge a little so you look and feel your best.

4. Organizing your group

Trying to organize a bunch of college students is similar to organizing toddlers. There's always last minute additions to the group, someone is having drama with their date, and people never seem to remember the times that the group is doing something. Let's just try to make it to formal people.

5. Taking pictures

The number of pictures taken at formal is equivalent to the number of pictures that celebrities have to take on the red carpet. But then again, formal doesn't happen every day, so go ahead and get all the artsy angles you want. Do it for the Insta.

6. Eating dinner

Eating dinner for formal is a much-needed break from dining hall food or from having to cook for yourself. Momentarily you can act like you don't usually eat mac and cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day.

7. Going to the actual event

Of course formal is great, but some snacks and a bigger venue would be nice. There's usually so many people there that you can barely move, let alone hear yourself think. You don't even recognize a lot of the people there and it makes you wonder, are they even in our sorority??

8. Dancing

You may not be the most coordinate or the best dancer, but will you be dancing awkwardly on the dance floor like no one is watching??? Yes, yes you will.

9. Eating post-formal food

All of the dancing really works up an appetite. And let's be honest, one of the best parts about going on a date night or any function is the post event food. Cookout anyone??

10. Remembering how much fun formal was

Even though formal is a long process, it's one of those college memories that you'll look back on and smile. Even if your night doesn't turn out as planned, there's always next formal right?Formal season, best season.