What I Forgot About College While I Enjoyed Summer Break

Now that I'm back in class- here are some reminders to myself.

1
Google

As usual, my summer vacation was short and sweet. I lounged around, spent two weeks on a beautiful resort in Cancun, and spent an immeasurable amount of time with my friends and family. I stayed up late, slept away my mornings, and enjoyed the lazy way of life. I was actually able to spend time in the sun, seeing as Washington weather is normally a little dreary. But it's over now, I am officially one week into my Sophomore year of college and I'm already disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love catching up with my college buddies, and meeting new people, but a large part of my time goes to the not-so-fun reading and writing and more reading and writing. As I attempt to smoothly transition back into the college state of mind, I am beginning to remember a few things about college life...

1. Sleep is vital to success.

As much as I love hanging out with friends to the wee hours of the night, I need sleep, especially if I have somewhat early morning classes. I recently misjudged my need for sleep and literally fell asleep on my friends while trying to watch a movie a couple nights ago. Sleep is important. Do it.

2. Procrastination is a bitch.

Do your homework assignments the day you get them, not the day before they are due. It's stressful trying to do last-minute homework before class, not to mention it feels good to know that all your studying is out of the way!

3. Get involved.

Sometimes it can be a hassle to go out of your way to join a club or activity, but it is super important. I cannot stress this enough. It's easier to meet new people and adjust to your college surrounding when having fun.

4. Naps. Are. Everything.

TAKE NAPS! Napping for a short time during the afternoon will quite literally save you from stress overload. The power of a good nap should never be underestimated. Even if you can only spare a short fifteen minutes to rest your eyes- do it. Napping is my favorite part of the day, also an essential one.

5. College is hard. Really hard. But you don't have to suffer alone.

College can be stressful, there are a lot of responsibilities to manage and it feels as if there is no time to do them all. On top of that, you want to be social and hangout with friends but you have a pile of papers to write and laundry to do. Don't sweat it. Everyone is in the same boat and we have each other's backs. And if that support still isn't cutting it, college counseling and wellness centers are trained on handling the stresses and pressures of the modern college student.

College is an amazing experience, and while summer's can be fun and relaxing- nothing beats the feeling of satisfaction after a good (yet busy) day in class with friends.