Forgiving and Forgetting: I Don't Know About That

It's not as easy as it seems.

34

You may have heard countless times, "Forgive and forget." The truth is, this is not as easy as it seems.

I may be in the wrong, but I honestly think that those words are hard to follow considering everyone's situation is different. I hate how constantly those words are thrown around like it's nothing when it's easier said than done.

It makes it seem as if the process is easy and because these words are misused constantly, it creates this false perception for everybody, for them to think that your process of forgiveness is quick.

Forgiveness takes time and depending on your situation, it may even take forever to forgive. Now, what we need to understand is that even if someone's process of forgiveness is slow, that doesn't mean we don't help them out during the process.

In order to facilitate the process of forgiveness, one can help by giving some words of wisdom.

I've heard people say "Well if you forgive and don't forget, you haven't completely forgiven them." And I say, that's not true.

You can forgive but not forget, in fact, if we attempt to forget we will end up in square one fighting with ourselves the forgiveness we did not give.

It is very possible to forgive but not forget because whatever that was done to you changed you in some way or another. If there is ever a time when you're retelling your experience in which you forgave an individual, you can easily say that although some sort of injustice was done upon you, you were able to gain something from it.

But not everybody is the same.

Sometimes it takes even the strongest of individuals to accept the fact that they've been wronged and to extract the thing that was meant to teach them something.

Everything happens for a reason and I believe that it is not easy to forgive and forget, it's also almost impossible.

And since everything does happen for a reason, we must also learn from the things that are not pleasing to us.