Don't Forget To Be A Kid

Don't Forget To Be A Kid

Be a kid even if you're an adult
93

I am now twenty years old and when most people hear that or say that, they are trying to prove how mature they are, even though age means nothing. I think and I know that when people try to go and do something, that their reasoning to not do it it their age. I think we need to stop thinking so much about our age and just live our lives. Our age is just a number that says how old our body is and how long we've been on Earth for and that's it. Our age is not our maturity or how active we are or what we can and can't do. I think that no matter what age you are, you can do anything you want to.

I know that we are coming into summer and that that usually poses an issue for many. If a thirty something was driving down the road and saw a swing set or a slide, then they would probably just keep driving and not think twice. If a four year old saw the same thing, they would ask their parent if they could go an play. So what's the difference? The thirty year old thinks that they're too old or too cool to go and play on a slide or swings, which is false. You are never too old to go and swing or go down a slide.

I think too many of us adults forget who we really are. We are just older people who have the same thoughts as eight year olds. I know that when I see a swing, I immiediatly think "I should go and swing on that" or "I'm too old for swings". You are never too old to swing or go down a slide. Same thing with sprinklers or what we can eat or do or watch. It doesn't matter how old you are, you should be confident to do anything you want to do, no matter how sill you might think you look. You will never look silly playing in a sprinkler, as long as you are having fun doing it.

As the summer comes in, don't forget who you really are, just a big kid. We are big kids now, we can drive ourselves to the movies to go watch a cartoon and to buy all the snacks we want. We are big kids now, we can go and buy a sprinkler to run around in with our friends. We can go and do anything we want, but we still hold ourselves back. Who are we holding ourselves back for? My grandparents who were born in the 40s still come and play with us and get silly and dirty and messy and just have fun. So why can't we? Why were we ever told "you're too old to do that"?

Whomever is reading this, I want you to make a promise to me and to yourself that the next time someone asks you to go and swing with them, you say yes. If you pass and ice cream shop and it's nice out, that you get yourself a scoop. If you are asked to play hopscotch or color with chalk, that you say yes and enjoy yourself. I want everyone to go and do something fun everyday. I don't care how old you are and what you think you're supposed to be doing, go do what you want to do. No matter what it is, live your life for you and only for you.

I can gladly say that I have no regrets in life because I think and know that everything happens for a reason and has a greater meaning than we'll ever be able to understand. I don't want you (the person reading) to regret not going and enjoying life by being a kid. We are just really big kids because we don't know what we're doing and we still like to paint with our fingers. We still like to color with chalk and eat Popsicles and make messes. Don't forget to be a kid while you're an adult.