Forever Emo tour comes to a close in Phoenix, AZ

On November 23rd, Mayday Parade ended their tour with a bang at the Crescent Ballroom

11
Vanessa Pimentel

Punk pop band Mayday Parade made their last stop of their Forever Emo tour right here in Arizona. The tour isn't like any other, Mayday played some of their songs but they also played covers of other punk bands, hence the tour's name. It broke the usual etiquette of concert performances. No barriers, no rules. This allowed the band to intimately play to their fans.

I went to go see Mayday perform that night and let me tell you, it was a really close, personal concert. People under 21 were sectioned off into the GA (general admission) section. Pretty much, we were front and center to the band. Like... make eye contact with guitarist Alex Garcia and have him smile directly at you close.

The DJ's from Emo Night (that is normally hosted downtown) opened for Mayday. They remixed punk in with pop and more "modern" sounds, if you will. They started before showtime, but it was entertaining to see the guys mix have everyone dance around with glee. They mixed songs from Taking Back Sunday, Paramore, Panic! At The Disco and more.

Mayday Parade came out with a beautiful guitar solo leading into all its members making their way on to the stage. The lights dimmed to a fluorescent blue, setting the aura the band was going for. Each song had its own vibe and the production team did a great job at making sure all the lighting was perfect.

I'd have to say my favorite part was Mayday singing their song "Jersey," the energy in the small room was insane. You would've thought the room was at ten times its capacity. I screamed the lyrics at the top of my lungs and even sang back to Brook (guitarist) as he walked around the stage to get the crowd going even more.

If you ever get the chance to see Mayday, I 10/10 recommend it! It's even more fun with a concert buddy. I went with my boyfriend and I think that made it even better. You get to the sing the lyrics with them, jump around and experience the moment together. It became a wonderful memory that I will never forget. Walking by Crescent Ballroom now, I smile thinking back to that night.

A band can truly impact the person you are. I have been listening to Mayday Parade since I was about 12 or 13-years-old and don't plan on stopping. Their lyricism and impactful chorus' have always stuck in my brain through the years. It felt surreal to have them in front of my eyes singing what I had only heard play from the radio in the four walls of my bedroom. Not being dramatic, it was a life-changing experience for me because music means a lot to me.

Music is what shapes me and helps me get through a multitude of situations. With this, I thank Mayday for making Arizona their last stop on tour and of the year. They have changed my life.

#ForeverEmo