For The Person Struggling To Keep Their New Years Resolution

It's okay to fall off of your resolution wagon... as long as you get back on.

121

Here we are, one week into 2018. If you are anything like me, you like new years resolutions. It's a sensationalized opportunity to regroup and redefine the way you want to live your life. Not just for this year, but forever. If you are anything like me, keeping up with the goals you set for yourself may get a little tricky sometimes. It's normal, high expectations leave lots of room underneath for perception of failure.

Here's what you need to remember: it's okay to fall off of your resolution wagon... as long as you get back on. You know what they say - fall seven times, get back up eight.

Let me tell you something disappointing. One of my resolutions was to go to the gym every day for a month... and I haven't even been to the gym once yet. As disheartening as that sounds, I still have plenty of time to actually follow through. If you're anything like me, you should take this reminder of a resolution that has fallen to the wayside, and find a way to remind yourself to take action. Make a fitness schedule and put it in your phone calendar to remind you. And if you miss a day in between, don't worry! Going to the gym every day is, in fact, ambitious. One day off is NOT going to prevent you from getting into shape. Just make sure one day doesn't turn into one week, and then one month... and then one whole year.

Research suggest that it takes, on average, twenty-one days to create a new habit. Maybe it is easier than that for you. Maybe it takes you way longer. The important thing to remember is that you shouldn't compare yourself to others. Different people have different natural tendencies. To keep with my exercise example, some people love to work out. If you're anything like me, you hate it. It is going to take a longer amount of time to get to a place where I am intrinsically motivated to work out consistently.

Every day that you follow through with your resolution is beneficial to you, whether it be journaling, drinking more water, being a better friend, etc. It is your choice if the days that you forget your end goal are going to hold you back, or inspire you to focus harder on not only what you want but what you deserve.

If you feel discouraged by your first week of 2018, if you were hoping for something better, if you are ready to let go of your resolution and chalk it up to stupid excuses like "maybe later, I have the whole year anyway", this is your reminder to get off of your butt and go fight for what you deserve.

It's a new year, and you get to choose every single day whether or not you get to be the new you.