For The Love Of God

For The Love Of God

Write like your life depended on it

15754
For The Love Of God
Unsplash.com

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! write like your life depends on it---and write like you're going to die tomorrow!

Who says that your writing has to be perfect, who says that writing is a waste of time----just write! How dare people challenge your craft when they, themselves, don't have any crafts to show for. Do they think that you are writing for their satisfaction? Have they forgotten that their reactions are an after-thought?

Great writers write for themselves, good writers write for their publicists, and bad writers write for people. Where am I trying to be on that spectrum? Well, of course, the first! The reason great writers are so successful is because they've realized that writing is like being original----the more original and self-cultivating you are, then the more people will find you, and your work, interesting. I write because I want to be original----I want to stand out like a sore thumb.

I am not writing because I want to gain friends. I am not writing because it is something that everyone is doing. And I am certainly not writing because I want admiration. The road for any writer is a lonely one. This is something that we all realize and accept. Our writings are lonely affairs that, somehow, publicly makes us popular. It is not our intentions to be writing in the spotlight, to be the center of attention, or to be showcased like an oscar on oscar night.

“We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect," wrote Anaïs Nin---and I couldn't agree more. Writing is our fountain of youth, our holy-oil, our sacred resting place. Writing is the light at the end of the tunnel, writing is like seeing a lucky penny on the road, and writing is that brief moment when the sunrise touches your face and the dampness of the springtime grass tickles your feet.

Our writings can start wars, our writings can create peace, our writings can move massive crowds, our writings can cause people to feel depressed, excited, or angry; our writings can sweep our lovers off of their feet, our writings can cause us to be ridiculed, hanged, or loved; our writings can change moods, our writings can start a fire---both physically and metaphorically---and our writings can be poisonous and lethal; our writings can be kind, gentle, and sweet, or our writings can be vile, deformed, and hurtful. But no matter what, and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! write like your life depends on it---and write like you're going to die tomorrow!