A Reminder For Those Who Feel Lost

A Reminder For Those Who Feel Lost

It's okay to not be sure of everything.

10
A Reminder For Those Who Feel Lost
Nghia Le

I have no idea where life will take me. There are no five-year plan lurking in my mind, or any step-by-step guides I have vowed to follow. My life is an open journey and very much so undefined. Despite how many articles I’ve read, I’ve come to realize that sometimes it’s okay to not be sure. There are obviously things I hope to accomplish in life, but the way in which I get there isn’t something I want to stress about. You shouldn’t either. We’ll figure it out.

Young adulthood (because I refuse to claim that I’m an adult yet) is not a time to have your mind made up. Make bad decisions, fail at some things; you’ll have plenty of time to be rational and serious later on. The best part about life is the mystery. No one has the key to being successful or being a better version of you. It’s impossible, actually. So then, why try to follow someone else’s path? Get lost.

I don’t mean to knock those that try to improve the lives of strangers through generalized advice. However, I would like to encourage you to not let yourself feel less than or like a failure after reading those articles. As uncomfortable as it may be, you’d be surprised by the things you discover in the dark. When you’re unsure, you have the opportunity to actually be brave. When things are going smoothly, life is sort of on autopilot. No growth. No discovery.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to read a good list. They’re fun, they’re convenient, and every so often, they actually apply to me. With that being said, I recognize that even writers don’t have the key to happiness. I’m a writer. I’m lost. It’s why I do what I do. I hope to discover things I never thought existed. It’s all a part of the human experience. Don’t let anyone make you feel like you’re “doing it wrong” if you aren’t sure of every facet of your life.

When it’s all said and done, no one can control you. If you feel the need to have it all mapped out, more power to you. Perhaps it’s the best way to live. Perhaps you’re a more enlightened individual than the rest of us. But for those of you that like to relish in uncertainty, I side with you. Let’s traverse this journey through the dark and emerge victorious. We’ll figure it out.