For All The People Who Deserve More

For All The People Who Deserve More

Can we stop applauding those who give respect like it's not the norm? Oh wait, it isn't.

153
For All The People Who Deserve More
Ava McLaughlin

Let me just start by stating the obvious: we are living in a scary time. From the possibility of having a Supreme Court Justice with sexual assault allegations on his resume to having one of my professor's get suspended of their teaching duties for sexual misconduct, we are not short of frightening occurrences and each day just seems to keep us farther from change.

The bottom line is, we lack respect as a whole and are straight up bewildered when even the smallest efforts are brought to light, and that says something. We need to stop awarding those that give respect as a rare bunch of 'good guys' and start referring to those actions as the norm.

Obviously, we've been combatting these issues on a larger scale for forever, but recently through models and movements like #MeToo aiding in a voice for sexual misconduct in the workplace, we've started to bring many of these issues to light through the power of mainstream media. These movements have proved to push the initiative of change forward, but there's still the fundamental lack of respect that needs to be consistently addressed before any real change can occur. The daily occurrences that we face from our peers, mentors, romantic relationships, and friendships need attention in order to ignite difference at-the basic level and normalize respectful values on all fronts.

The questions my friends and I ask each other, especially recently, are: Why should we be so absolutely shocked when someone cares more about our mental health than pursuing their own agenda? Why should we be blown away by someone asking for permission, consent, and forming guidelines in relationships?

Why should we be surprised that a man values our identity, thoughts, ideas, and voice? Why do we keep saying 'get you a mans that respects you, values your opinion and accepts your individuality' when it should be the absolute norm to treat people with respect? Why do we get excited when someone shows the barest minimum of acceptance when it comes to viewing you as an actual person and not an object-or prop? Why do these people seem to be so far and few between?

It is past time for people to push through their own entitlement and privilege and start viewing people as people and-not someone underneath them that they don't have to listen to, care for, respect, or as a stepping stool towards accomplishing their own goals. It is past time that we are all seen on one level-the same level. It is past time, and actually, there should never have even been a time where respect was granted based on gender, orientation, race, financial status, and whatever else bogus group we try and put people into in order to make ourselves feel better.

We keep saying 'time's up' but in all reality, the sad part is that time's been up, time should never have allowed for any of this mistreatment, but regardless, times are going to change.

I have faith that the rare un-entitled few that I come across and applaud for their access to respect and acceptance that they will soon be part of the norm. I have faith that our generation and the generations to come will normalize equality and respect by teaching people of all ages how we should live so that I don't have to be shocked that someone gets treated how they should be treated. I have faith that feminists won't be called 'radical' for wanting to be viewed as equal to the rest of the population. I have faith that one day time will be up for everyone who believes you can pick and choose respect.

Time is up for all the Brock Turner's in the world who grow up to be Brett Kavanaugh's who should never get the chance to make the rules. Time is up for disrespect.