In One Month My Weekends Will Be Filled With Football So Bring On The Tailgates And The Cheering Fans

I cannot wait to be cheering on my team alongside 90,000 saluting fans.

34

Summer is great. It's a lovely time to relax, to reflect, and to get done what busy fall schedules simply do not allow time for. However, I cannot help but feel a little empty on its Saturdays and Sundays. Why, do you ask?

I miss football.

Those like me who were raised in a football-centric family know what I'm talking about. I miss the treks to the tailgate, the delicious cooking and elaborate meals set in place, the pre-gaming with other football games on the television -- I even miss the hours of waiting leading up to the next game! I miss having my entire Saturday devoted to going to the stadium and feeling the energy all 90,000+ fans bring when they are cheering and showing their school spirit -- in my case, Gator pride. I miss the opening fanfare and the electricity that comes with the team taking to the field.

I also miss the away games where you spend the day watching TV with friends and family, catching up on what is happening around the conference and seeing your favorite team kick butt on the road. I miss Sundays where NFL football reigns supreme and I can watch all of the games on Redzone with my family. I miss the cheering and the betting with family over who will win, and man, it stinks not having that all year-round.

The normal Saturday/Sunday weekends without football just cannot compare.

I will say, I am an outlier when it comes to most football fans my age. I have gone to every home game (save for maybe three due to illness) since I was 1 year old and gladly put it before vacations or other trips. It is so ingrained into who I am that I genuinely get sad every time the season ends. Like a part of my life is missing. This year, as it is my Senior year, I know full well that I will most likely cry like a baby at the end of the last home game. Yeah, a football game.

But that's because I love it so much.

I love this time of year of cornhole, good southern cooking, and camaraderie. To see it go for the last time as a student and know I will probably not get to go to the same amount of games again for a while will be so hard. I cannot wait for it to come, though.

Even though it will be the end of an era for me, I am itching for the season to arrive.

I am itching to make those memories one last time, and see my team to victory once more.

One more month to go.

Football season, don't wait.