Why Food Trends Are Ridiculous

Why Food Trends Are Ridiculous

Spit out that mouthful of kale and listen up!

43
Why Food Trends Are Ridiculous
A Mitchell Communications Group Blog

Shiitake mushrooms, seaweed, kale, coconut oil, juicing literally everything.

Foods often take off as a trend when some mysterious, unknown researcher somewhere in the middle of the rainforest finds that they have some obscure health benefits. While I do not refute the validity of much of this research, I think that going out and pumping your body full of these foods just to convince yourself that you're being healthy is a bit foolish. I'm not saying that these foods might not be delicious and healthy, but I am saying that there are more important things to consider. There are bigger salmon to grill with a fresh lemon sauce, if you will.

First of all, what is the point of buying Wegmans out of their stock of kale just because you get some extra fiber? You're going to get sick of it in a few months and never want to lay eyes on it again anyway. Secondly, once manufacturers catch on to the newest food buzz, you better believe they're right there waiting to profit from it (and RUIN it!). Lastly, life it short. Eat what you like (within reason...keep yourselves generally healthy). Don't just shovel something into your mouth that you don't like because some guy in the rainforest told you so. I love some of the foods that have been introduced to me during these trends, but I think so many people get temporarily swept up in them and it becomes more of a game of eating as much of that one thing as you can and then moving on to the next one.

Eat on, folks.