Follow Your Dreams

Follow Your Dreams

The start of your journey to follow your dreams can sometimes come in the form of a question.

10
Follow Your Dreams
Vasquez Photography

I contemplated what to write about for my first article. After all, I'm not really a writer! Then I recalled a moment that will forever change the course of my history. It was a comment made by a 10-year-old, a 5th grader in my class, in the Spring of 2004. The comment was "You always tell us to follow our dreams, so why don't you follow yours?" It was a comment that went straight to my heart, head and soul. I had said it so many times to my students over the course of the past six years as a 5th and 6th grade teacher at Hope Elementary.

Wasn't my dream to be a teacher? Yes, it was. It had been a dream since I walked into the old Hope Elementary as a kindergarten student in August of 1980. My dream was to teach at Hope Elementary, and it happened! I think I was actually good at it (and I think I am still pretty good!) But, there was this longing in my heart to act. I wanted to entertain others like I had my students over the previous few years.

Growing up, I loved movies and television. I loved actors and actresses. I watched everything from daily soaps to sitcoms to prime-time dramas. I absorbed everything. To me, there was no greater reward than going to a movie theater to see a movie. I couldn't wait for the next fall season on television. I watched every rerun in the days of pre-DVR and pre-binge watching. My love of acting continuously grew. I was known to reenact scenes from General Hospital or All My Children. I dreamt of being on Dallas or Falcon Crest.

The only problem was, there were not a lot of opportunities. Our school system had no drama program. The community theater scene was very limited in the area and any productions were usually exiled to the summer or were for adults only. I absolutely jumped at chances in school to read in front of the class or be in a play out of our reading book. In high school, I only had two opportunities. One was doing a scene from "The Crucible" as a junior, and playing Charlie Brown in "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" as a senior. Church provided some experience with our annual Christmas plays. I earned rave reviews as Satan!

Then, there was the parent issue. I secretly wanted to pursue acting in college. Purdue University is not known for their theater program, but they do have one. I tried to get involved and tried to sneak in some theater classes. When my mom found out, she adamantly said "No!" My mom said to get my education first, then act. I delayed starting my pursuit.

Then life happened. My dad died at the age of 52 on April 4, 1995, of a heart attack when I was in the middle of my sophomore year at Purdue. I threw myself into school, and my summers were devoted to working to make money. My mom died suddenly at the age of 56 of a cerebral hemorrhage. By that point, I threw myself into my career.

Once I began teaching, that hunger to act never stopped. I tried to incorporate acting into lessons and tried to make opportunities for my students. I secretly hoped someone would discover me in Hope, Indiana. New York and LA were a million miles away!

Then that fateful day happened in 2004. It got me thinking -- Why don't I do something? It took me another three years before something hit me like a bolt of lightening. That came in the form of a movie. That movie was the movie "Hairspray." I sat in the movie and something awakened in me like I had never felt before. On my way home, I set a goal that when my niece (who was 5 at the time) was 18, I would start doing acting stuff. Well, God had other plans.

I did research on the Internet and had a head shot taken. I mailed it to casting people who, I am sure, threw them in the garbage. Of course, I wasn't discovered.

Then in May of 2008, a teacher friend said we should try out for the stage version of "High School Musical". After all, we had made a splash the past Halloween as Troy and Sharpay in our school's staff costume contest. We auditioned. She got cast as a teen, and I got cast as a teacher (typecasting?) I had the time of my life learning how a production goes, how to memorize lines (I only had 10 and was freaking out!), and observing very talented kids transform from regular kids to stars of the show. The night we opened, we got a standing ovation. I was hooked!

The down side was this particular group only did summer productions. But, in a simple twist of fate, my sister was taking another job. This job was in Virginia. Her whole family was moving. I would be without my immediate family. I had that feeling of loss. The same day my sister told me they were moving, a little tiny message about a free acting workshop at a community theater 40 miles away was printed at the bottom of the front page of the paper. I decided to go for it.

I began the free Saturday workshops and auditioned for their next production. In another twist of fate, my sister and family moved back a month later. I always call this God's great big giant shove.

It took a 10 year old's words to remind me that there was more to my life. It set in motion a path that I never expected and made me realize that I had a dream worth pursuing. I would have never imagined in 2004 that I would be a part of 42 stage productions as actor, director or stage manager. I would have never imagined I would be a part of eight movies.

Acting is a part of my life. It has enriched me and has changed me on so many levels. Now when I tell my students to follow their dreams, I really do mean it. I hope I am an example that it is never too late to follow a dream.

In closing, I dedicate this to Hayli Goode, the person who asked me to write something, because she was that student in my class who said those fateful words. To anyone, no matter your age, no matter your circumstance, no matter your dream, follow it. Follow it with all of your heart. Believe in yourself. If you know it is what will make you the happiest, the time is now to go for it. No one else is stopping you, but you. Take that step. What are you waiting for?