Foghat: The Boogie And Blues-Rockers You Need To Start Paying Attention To

The band that you probably haven't heard of.

76
Instagram

Foghat’s sound concentrated on boogie music and blues-rock with a rock 'n' roll twist. They released a number of best-selling albums in the '70s. Their first members included guitarist “Lonesome” Dave Peverett, bassist Tony Stevens, drummer Roger Earl, and guitarist Rod Price. Peverett, Stevens, and Earl were previously together in a band called Savoy Brown. They were all from England, but their music always had an American sound. They moved to the United States and signed with Bearsville Records.

Foghat constantly toured well into the mid-'80s. In 1974, Stevens left the band. In 1980, Price left the band. And in 1985, Peverett went back to England to take a break from touring. The band had nine different group members throughout its existence.

Foghat released their first album, "Foghat," in 1972. After it became a widely popular rock album, the band started touring and toured for the next 14 years. Foghat’s second album was their first record to go Gold and it cemented them as famous arena rock performers. They won seven Gold records over their career. Their album "Fool For The City" went Platinum and "Foghat Live"went Double-Platinum. "Foghat Live"was their best-selling record and sold more than two million copies.

Foghat established themselves as one of the world’s best rock acts of the 1970s. Many of their hit singles, which topped the charts, include “Drivin’ Wheel,” “I Just Wanna Make Love To You,” “I’ll Be Standing By,” and “Somebody’s Been Sleeping In My Bed.” While their biggest successes were in the mid-'70s, they faced a decrease in sales with their album "Zig-Zag Walk," which barely made it to the charts.

Foghat is known as one of rock 'n' roll’s legendary acts. Their classic and boogie blues and rock combination made them known for their compelling performances that helped them build their loyal fan base. Foghat influenced a number of musicians, especially those from England and the United States during the '70s.

Foghat always received support and love from their fans. When Dave Peverett died on February 7, 2000, from a long battle with pneumonia and kidney cancer, his death was mourned by thousands of fans. His death caused the rest of the band to feel hesitant about continuing to tour together. But with time and support from Foghat fans, Roger Earl gradually began to look for a new singer for the band. After finding vocalist Charlie Huhn, who was able to play guitar and present a lively and energetic character on stage, the band started to tour again in August of 2000.

After touring for about two years, the band released a new CD, their latest studio recording, called "Family Joules." They also created a DVD called “The Official Bootleg DVD, Volume 1.”

Foghat’s influence most definitely did not die out after the '80s. In 2007, they released a CD, "Foghat Live II," in celebration of the 30th anniversary of their exceptionally successful "Foghat Live" album. This was recorded by current members Roger Earl, Craig MacGregor, Bryan Bassett, and Charlie Huhn. Most recently, Foghat released a new album in 2010 called "Last Train Home" which highlighted the band’s new approach to blues music.