5 Flabbergastedly Strange Questions Everybody Is Dying To Know The Answer To

How do mermaids have sex, where does the toe tag go if the person has no toes, and other questions—answered.

550
Unsplash

There are some things in life that we have not yet realized that we wanted. Not because we don't want or are too lazy to want (as human beings, we are too greedy to be ever do either) but because we have simply not yet experienced. Such things include craving a dessert we've never tried, ached for a person we've never met and cried over tragedies we never knew happened. Things that we've never known we wanted because we have lacked the experience needed.

The following questions are questions we may or may have not been dying to know the answer to, depending on whether we've actually took the time to actually ask them. Usually, it's impossible to find the answers to things we've never asked, but this time, there's going to be an exception. Here are the answers to questions that we've always been dying to ask (but didn't realize that we were).

1. How do mermaids have sex?

The easiest answer, in the technical sense of the word, is that they don't. According to George Parsons, Director of Fishes at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, the bottom halves of mermaids, judging by studying the general shape of the tail, are of pelagic fish.

This means that they swim to one spot, like a shallow part of the ocean. Like the salmon depicted in nature documentaries, (but not in freshwater), the females lay their eggs through a slit on the lower end of their tails, and the males release their sperm. This results in a whole lot of fish fluid going everywhere, but also quite a few fertilizations as well.

There's no insertion involved at all which makes this process extremely unlike that of the mammals. However, if we were to loosely define "sex" as something that results in babies, I suppose we could all agree that mermaids do the deeds in massive orgies.

Not exactly what we were expecting, Ariel.

2. Where does the toe tag go on a deceased person if they possess no toes?

Zoe-Anne Barcellos, who works at a medical examiner's office, explains that toe tags are typically only placed on a a person's toe if they were in a hospital, and usually, they also get put on the wrist and the body bag in addition to the toe. At a medical examiner's office, they're generally not put on toes, even if the person does possess them.

However, she does go quite above and beyond, answering a few additional questions I'm sure we've never asked as well.

A. What if the person arrives in fragmented remains?

"If there's only one person," she says, "we gather all the pieces and put them in a singular body bag, then we leave the tag on the bag."

B. What if several people arrive in fragmented remains all together? She says that, at her office, they try and match the person's parts to the respective person, based on things like bone size and skin color, in what is sometimes known as a "meat puzzle."

C. What if there are only scraps of tissue left of quite a lot of people?"

If there was a mass disaster," she answers, "there would have a Family Assistance Center Established." The Family Assistance Center polls the surviving family members, who usually agree to mass incarceration of tissue.

3. Do sheep count themselves to go to sleep?

Zootopia, we all wondered the same thing. After much waiting and much unrealized pondering, here's the unfortunately not so funny or intriguing answer — they don't. Because they can't count. The researchers at BBC included a list of animals who demonstrate numerical abilities, and sheep are simply not on the list.

4. When does it stop being partly cloudy and start being partly sunny?

Believe it or not, it's less of a glass-half-full-or-half-empty-you-pick situation, and more of a situation involving an actual definitive definition. Partly cloudy is less cloudy than partly sunny, and if the sun level goes down in party sunny, then it becomes "mostly cloudy"."

Though it may seem counter-intuitive at first glance, think about it: having a part of something is to have/refer to less of it in the general scheme of things. For example: I like that part of town. Not even most of the town, but just a little bit of it.

Hence, partly cloudy is less than 73 percent cloudiness, while partly sunny is generally 1/4 sun or less, according to the National Weather Service. However, there is a massive exception: because "partly moony" is simply not a thing, this rule doesn't hold true at night.

5. Do Siamese twins pay for one ticket or two at outings (i.e. plane tickets, concerts, etc)?

Despite looking up the answer to this, I still cannot figure out an empirical rule that would be guaranteed to work at every outing. However, if the Delta situation holds true, they'll often be subject to the whims and technicalities of each company's policies, and not have the certainty of a guaranteed outcome.

USA Today wrote of a mother willing to test it out with her Siamese twin daughters on the flight. Because the twins had separate lungs (but not a separate diaphragm or heart), they would need two oxygen masks in the case of an emergency and Delta technically had to carry enough oxygen for "every passenger aboard," so the twins were determined, at first, to need separate tickets. But then that verdict was changed to only needing one ticket, as they'd only take up the space of one seat . . . on the way to Baltimore, but not the way from.

The verdict? There really isn't one.

Now, after unknown years of anticipation to answer these unspoken questions of ours, they have finally been answered, there is no doubt that our hearts can rest happy, as we have satisfied a need we never knew we needed.