To The Person Who Has Taught Me So Much; Happy Fathers Day

Five reasons why I love my Dad.

31
Kate Maddox

In celebration of Father's Day, I thought I would write about my dad. This got me thinking about how much I love my dad and that I shouldn't be using a special day for an excuse to write about him. Even though it is Father's Day, these are five reasons why I love my dad every day. This is for you David Maddox.

We share our brown eyes.

Kate Maddox

Both my brother and my mom have blue eyes. I got the pleasure of taking after my dad with brown eyes. I hold Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" close to my heart because of this. We are also both right handed, while my brother and mom are left handed. We use the advantage to make fun of them (sorry to all the left handed people out there).

He plans all of our amazing trips.

Kate Maddox

If you read my travel diary of my favorite seven cities, then you know how much I like to travel. All of these trips were made possible by my dad. He is the ultimate trip planner. Often he gets travel books in his Christmas stocking of the places we will be visiting in the future. In the months leading up to the trip, you can find him spending hours on the computer searching for the best hotels, the best restaurants (ones that offer the full experience of where we are staying but are also not touristy), and the best attractions. We make fun of him because he can be seen carrying a map everywhere we go, which makes us look like major tourists. However, we are appreciative of the hard work he puts into our amazing trips. Here is a photo booth that we found in London.

He has such a huge heart.

Kate Maddox

I think I definitely get my ability to love so much from him. He cares so much about his family. He also has a huge place in his heart for animals. Our family volunteers at our local animal shelter, so my mom is always dragging him to come with her. He always comes back talking about some dog that he fell in love with. This results in a conversation with my mom asking if we could foster the dog, which leads to him saying no because we already had a dog. It is that typical "dad conversation", but I know he has a soft spot for those animals.

He is so strong.

Kate Maddox

My dad has been through so much in just a few short months. Sometimes it was hard being away at college when I wish I could've been at home with him. However, he pushed through the uncertainty and hardships and has come out even stronger. He has such a big support system and he let us be there for him just like he has been there for us. He is a rock star honestly.

He is proud of his family.

Kate Maddox

This man is the ultimate champ. He has attended countless piano recitals, basketball games, soccer games, cross country meets, track meets, etc. He stood by my mom when she decided to go back to school to become a teacher. He visits her classroom from time to time to help out and hang with her students. He watched his two kids graduate high school and go to college at the same time. He has supported all of us through and through and we are so grateful for that. He is the epitome of a loving father, son, brother, uncle, and husband. We are proud of you, dad.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! If you know of anyone that is a dad, give them a hug, send them a test or a card, or tell them a quick thank you for being who they are!